What makes a good photograph?

"Point and shoot" is the general term on these boards for something that's not an SLR. In other words, you can't change the lens, you're stuck with what's built into the camera, which is how I use the term. It's not meant as derogatory, just as an easy hardware differentiation.

Also, is that 380 mm zoom optical or digital? Digital zoom (in my opinion) is fairly worthless because it's not the optics doing the zooming, but the software blowing up the center of the image and interpolating - not actually adding any new information, so it's like cropping and then blowing up a small section in PhotoShop.
Yes, then in this forum's terms, mine is a point and shoot. It's not an SLR, but not one of the little fit-in-your pocket either. Fuji S5700, just bought it 2 nights ago. Wanted manual control and the zoom, but no the price of the big-boys. Can't see paying the price when I haven't a clue what I'm doing :D.

And, yes it is optical zoom. Like I said, not one of the cameras that the mother's whip out of their purses and hold at arms length taking pictures at the school play. I know about the digital zoom stuff. I turned digital zoom off first thing since I had bought my first digi-cam. Not sure, but I think mine is something like 19x digital. Wouldn't know, didn't even look at that spec and turned it off right after changing the file compression quality to the highest.

Yes, then in this forum's terms, mine is a point and shoot. It's not an SLR, but not one of the little fit-in-your pocket either. Fuji S5700, just bought it 2 nights ago. Wanted manual control and the zoom, but no the price of the big-boys. Can't see paying the price when I haven't a clue what I'm doing :D.

And, yes it is optical zoom. Like I said, not one of the cameras that the mother's whip out of their purses and hold at arms length taking pictures at the school play. I know about the digital zoom stuff. I turned digital zoom off first thing since I had bought my first digi-cam. Not sure, but I think mine is something like 19x digital. Wouldn't know, didn't even look at that spec and turned it off right after changing the file compression quality to the highest.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult. I bought a P&S in 2002 and an SLR in 2005; since then I haven't looked nor tracked P&S technology/features, so I didn't know they had optical zooms that large at this point. And when I bought mine, I specifically bought one that was not a compact, the size of a credit card, but one that had a decent feature set, so I am well aware there are different levels of P&S and it doesn't automatically mean it's the quality of a camera phone.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult.
Please, you not insulting at all. I just want to understand the terms correctly if I want to stick around here. Like I said, I assume the little credit card size cameras when I hear point and shoot. I just understand when I see the term more clearly now.

I am new here and new to a camera that has any manual control. Previous, I did have a true termed point and shoot. It was full automatic period. Learning lots of interesting information here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back