What makes a great garden salad for you?

Tee

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love salads of the lettuce variety (although a good chicken salad rocks, too). I probably eat at least two salads a day for the last 5 or 6 years. Lately I'm in a slump as far as creative ingredients go and thought I'd ask you fun members what things you like in yours? I'm also loving the new Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. For me, my salad has to have the minimum: some kind of nut/ seed, grape tomatoes, a protein, and a strong cheese like blue or gorgonzola. I like to mix iceberg, butter lettuce, and spring mix. I loathe romaine lettuce. Absolutely loathe it.

When I was younger I used to make what I called a breakfast salad. Bacon, eggs, sausage and small pieces of toast (Croutons.) Wasnt really a salad, but I did eat it out of a bowl.

When I was younger I used to make what I called a breakfast salad. Bacon, eggs, sausage and small pieces of toast (Croutons.) Wasnt really a salad, but I did eat it out of a bowl.
That would actually be pretty yummy with some cheddar cheese and Catalina dressing over romaine and baby spinach.

That sounds good. I love meals in a bowl.

The greatest leap forward you can make in salad technology is making your own dressings. It's easy, it's cheap, and you get a ton more variety in your flavors.

Yeah, bacon. Also like a little arugula, but not too much. and I hope some day, you can work out your issues with romaine.

I love salads of the lettuce variety (although a good chicken salad rocks, too). I probably eat at least two salads a day for the last 5 or 6 years. Lately I'm in a slump as far as creative ingredients go and thought I'd ask you fun members what things you like in yours? I'm also loving the new Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. For me, my salad has to have the minimum: some kind of nut/ seed, grape tomatoes, a protein, and a strong cheese like blue or gorgonzola. I like to mix iceberg, butter lettuce, and spring mix. I loathe romaine lettuce. Absolutely loathe it.

All of the above.. except I also like Feta Cheese in them, and sometimes craisins. I hate iceberg (all crunch, no nutrition).. give me greenleaf or spring mix any day! I make my own Kalamata Olive vinaigrette that rocks! And bacon.. and chicken... or salmon....

The greatest leap forward you can make in salad technology is making your own dressings. It's easy, it's cheap, and you get a ton more variety in your flavors.

Ever use bacon fat in your dressing? There's a local restaurant i frequent that has a bacon dressing that's really worth its weight in gold.

Fresh ingredients. Other than that you can mix all sorts of things. So long as you account for the following sweet, tangy, salty, a base flavor and some compliment flavors at least 2.

I usually mix my own vinaigrette to give it a little extra flare.

Just from personal experience though, Shredded Cocoanut and Kidney Beans don't mix.

Fresh ingredients. Other than that you can mix all sorts of things. So long as you account for the following sweet, tangy, salty, a base flavor and some compliment flavors at least 2.

Just from personal experience though, Shredded Cocoanut and Kidney Beans don't mix.

Yeeeshh... that sounds disgusting! lol!

Yeeeshh... that sounds disgusting! lol!

Yeah, sometimes I am too creative for my own good.

I know this sounds strange.. but it is really good. Olive oil, vinegar, Fresh Garlic to taste (pureed) and craisins to taste (ground up.. left a little chunky). You HAVE to be a Garlic lover though... lol!

Really GOOD heirloom tomatoes are one of the best things, to me. It's a difficult thing to source for much of the year. I like two, or even three varieties of lettuce within a salad. Pine nuts. A scant few finely sliced red onion bits, or Walla Walla sweet onion bits--not too many, and yet, enough! Oh, what else? maybe...some fresh-cracked pepper...a little bit of diced green onion...a few bits of diced or finely-sliced black olives...maybe a bit of Parmesan cheese...or cheddar cheese,grated.

Ever use bacon fat in your dressing? There's a local restaurant i frequent that has a bacon dressing that's really worth its weight in gold.

Yeah, hot bacon fat used in a vinaigrette on a spinach salad. Also used in a hot german potato salad. Also really good for... oh.. wait... that's a different forum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back