What's new

Not having a stellar buying experience with Adorama "Used" Department

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
535
Reaction score
32
Location
Eastern Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
( I apologize for the length and content in advance) I am not having a stellar buying experience with Adorama. You be the judge. I bought a Speedotron D402 400 Watt/Second Power Pack Brown Line KIT w/ 2 x M90 Flash Heads from Adorama via eBay. The stands showed up in a timely manner, but the remainder did not show up until 2 weeks later. But to get them I had to call "used sales" and asked if they knew where my order was? They finally found them. I was not happy with their lack of knowledge of my order or willingness to explain their disappearance. To make the debacle acceptable ..."used" said they were authorized to give me small gift card for my inconvenience. I asked for more due the long wait, he would free shipping on my next "used" order.(not a big deal) In wanted my light and agreed. When I went to use the lights one of the M90's flash tube was shattered, as well as two smaller bulbs. I quickly called them but as usual with my schedule Adorama was closed. I went on line to see about a "live" chat line. Nothing. I finally found a number that would accept voice message. I left all the information stated above for the "used" department and asked for a call asap. ( I had a shoot I needed to do the next day with the lights). I did get a call the next day (Fri) from someone at Adorama, but she had no clue of the order or why she was supposed to call me. After a 10+ minute wait I did get to "used".

Now the hassle starts again. I told them of my dissatisfaction in the condition of the lights and that I wanted them replaced-now~ I asked them to use email as the time I was spending on the phone in traffic was not working. I get an email shortly stating that they would give me a partial refund as the lights/bulbs were discontinued. WHAT! DC? I contacted a friend here on TPF and he quickly gave me 2 links to tubes, one an Adorama link! I emailed them to Adorama and "used" said he would pass that info on to sales and get back to me. They got back to me and withdrew the partial refund if I wanted a tube, not both. I emailed them back and said I felt given all the crap with this order I should receive the partial refund and at least a flash tube. They said I would hear shortly. I never heard back.

I have never purchased from Adorama before other than years ago for non photo things. Once this mess is done- so is my relationship with Adorama's "used" department
:thumbdown: and probably Adorama.
 
Last edited:
.....I am not having a stellar buying experience with Adorama.....

I was so very concerned to read your feedback of your recent experience purchasing from Adorama, and firstly, please can I offer my deep and sincere apologies. From the situation you have described, I am not surprised that you feel frustrated and disappointed, and unable to trust us to fulfil future orders in a timely and reliable way.
In your position I think I might well be feeling the same way.

Without an order number I'm unable to identify your transaction, but if you would like to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com, I can promise that I will give this matter my immediate attention.

Adorama's reputation has been built over the years on competitive pricing, speedy shipping and a wide inventory, but excellence in service to our customers is our number one priority.
I regret that on this occasion we failed you, but I would welcome the opportunity to make this right.
Once again my apologies, and I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
 
Even though there was intervention which is greatly appreciated. I stand by my original dissatisfaction with Adorama, now as a whole, Helen excluded of course :wink:
 
Things happen sometimes! Adorama rocks... and it is your loss if you don't use them (my thoughts anyway!) If they made good... maybe lighten up a bit, and don't do the negative thing. Of course, IF they screw up again... yea, blast them! lol.. then they would deserve it, but one time??? Nahh! They have been extremely reliable for me and many other people...
 
Things happen sometimes! Adorama rocks... and it is your loss if you don't use them (my thoughts anyway!) If they made good... maybe lighten up a bit, and don't do the negative thing. Of course, IF they screw up again... yea, blast them! lol.. then they would deserve it, but one time??? Nahh! They have been extremely reliable for me and many other people...
This is more than once even though same order. This is why I hesitated posting because people would tell me to ease up and give them another chance. This has been going on for a month. It is a customer service issue. To each their own service provider. Glad you have great service. This my sole opinion.
 
Things happen sometimes! Adorama rocks... and it is your loss if you don't use them (my thoughts anyway!) If they made good... maybe lighten up a bit, and don't do the negative thing. Of course, IF they screw up again... yea, blast them! lol.. then they would deserve it, but one time??? Nahh! They have been extremely reliable for me and many other people...
This is more than once even though same order. This is why I hesitated posting because people would tell me to ease up and give them another chance. This has been going on for a month. It is a customer service issue. To each their own service provider. Glad you have great service. This my sole opinion.

Understood... I don't buy used, that may be part of it. But have had around twenty or so successful transactions in the past year or two... and for some serious dollars on some of the orders. Hope you have better luck elsewhere....
 
Plus, you have to know in advance that they keep "orthodox hours". Thats a real pita for me, and often I end up going to J&R on a saturday instead.

But the one thing I can say for sure is that Adorama will fix or take back any product.

However, if I need something by a certain day for known reason, I never order electronically. I always get a person on the phone who can assure me things are going to be packed and shipped in time, and who will then be personally responsible for making sure it happens.
 
I had problems with Adorama, and was a little bit PO after dealing with a rude sales person and receiving 2 teleconverters broken, I had the chance to deal with Helen, who has been very helpful and solved my problem satisfactorily.
I think they really are trying to overcome the shortcomings of their staff.
If you know a reliable person in the box, deal with that person.
 
Plus, you have to know in advance that they keep "orthodox hours". Thats a real pita for me, and often I end up going to J&R on a saturday instead.

But the one thing I can say for sure is that Adorama will fix or take back any product.

However, if I need something by a certain day for known reason, I never order electronically. I always get a person on the phone who can assure me things are going to be packed and shipped in time, and who will then be personally responsible for making sure it happens.

I was informed as to their hours and is that is why I did not expect to hear anything Saturday. I did expect a personal contact today. I agree with the electronic transaction. Personal attention makes it work.
 
......I did expect a personal contact today. I agree with the electronic transaction. Personal attention makes it work.

I don't think Jorge works Sundays; I'm sure he will be in contact with you today.
 
Last edited:
As the TPF member who located this deal, and who telephoned and PM'd myvinyl333 to tell him about an on-line Adorama deal from their e-Bay pages back in December, I was extremely dismayed to have heard, on multiple occasions, the various excuses that he was being told by Adorama's "customer service" representatives,on three separate occasions over several weeks' time.

This should have been a simple pack-it-up-RIGHT-and ship-it-to-the-customer kind of transaction. Before he bought this buy-it-now deal from Adorama's e-Bay store, I assured George that Adorama was reputable company, and that with the free shipping on the outfit, that the price and the product made it to be a "great deal," to use my exact words. After checking back with him on three separate occasions, as recently as this Friday afternoon, and finding out that the pre-Christmas order was 1)mis-shipped and 2) arrived with a broken flash tube and broken modeling lamps and 3)that he had been informed that Speedotron MW3 flash tubes were "no longer being made"...you know...I felt a sense of personal responsibility and regret for having vouched for 1)Adorama and 2)the "deal". I knew it has been split-shipped: I knew it had arrived damaged" but when I heard the excuse about the MW3 flashtubes not being available any more??? Ridiculous! I went on-line and located flashtubes from multiple vendors--INCLUDING Adorama itself!!!!

I e-mailed Helen Oster yesterday conveying my sense of disappointment for the utter ineptitude and unprofessionalism this deal has represented for over three weeks' time. A mis-shipped, split order, arriving with damage, and then being told that replacement parts were no longer available...and the way George has handled this kind of treatment since before Christmas...I have to say that the entire handling of this transaction, and the length of time that Adorama has sat on customer money with an order split into two shipments, with one shipment wandering all over the USA, and then arriving with a busted flashtube and broken modeling lamps, and then being given a load of erroneous information???

This experience has colored my opinion quite a lot. After I ordered six very expensive flash tubes advertised as in-stock from Adorama in 2007, and having ONE single tube shipped, and then having to wait a couple of months for the remaining five tubes to be shipped to me? Sorry. I'm no longer interested in spending my money there. George, I am sorry I found this deal on-line and I am sorry that I vouched for it.
 
......I did expect a personal contact today. I agree with the electronic transaction. Personal attention makes it work.

I don't think Jorge works Sundays; I'm sure he will be in contact with you today.

You stated he was in going to be in the office Sunday so that is why I was l expecting a call...
 
This experience has colored my opinion quite a lot. After I ordered six very expensive flash tubes advertised as in-stock from Adorama in 2007, and having ONE single tube shipped, and then having to wait a couple of months for the remaining five tubes to be shipped to me? Sorry. I'm no longer interested in spending my money there. George, I am sorry I found this deal on-line and I am sorry that I vouched for it.
You helped me considerably and I appreciate your intrest during this process. I am confident it will work out. Being contacted by Helen is a nice gesture and Adorama should be grateful for her presence. Obviously she is available Saturday and Sunday.
 
Just call me the woman-who-never-sleeps!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom