What mode do you shoot in?

Mostly aperture priority, sometimes manual, occasionally full automatic, more rarely shutter priority.

Aperture priority. My main subject is people and thus I usually shoot them wide open.

I also use manual or shutter priority sometimes.

Usually aperture priority when using the normal lenses, but manual when shooting macro with the Lensbaby.

I shoot mostly on a 6D Mark II. I almost always shoot in aperture priority but there is a caveat. First, I also normally shoot in Auto ISO mode which on this camera provides the ability to set a minimum shutter speed (normally 1000 or 2000 for action) and a maximum ISO. So for action, or with a long lens, I am able to set the minimum speed to freeze the shot/handle camera shake so that I can adjust aperture for depth of field or sharpness.

Of course I can see through view finder how camera reacts to the aperture I set and go to manual mode if I do not like the results.

I'm stuck in a rut of shooting manual

I thought I replied . . .

I use all of them (P,S,A,M), but I do NOT use Auto.
- Which mode I use depends on what and where I am shooting. Each mode has a purpose.
- I do not use Auto, because it puts the AF into closest subject mode, and the closest object is usually NOT my subject.

Lately I have been shooting in stealth mode...I snap, then continue walking.

If my camera isn't fully manual (I usually use a Leica or other vintage Nikon with no auto functions) then i'll use aperture priority mostly, unless i'm shooting street or racing where shutter speed is more critical, then i'd use shutter priority, then adjust the settings as needed with exposure lock button or compensation dials.

Last edited:
Outside I'm generally in P. On a Pentax it's a hyper mode that allows me to change to any other mode instantly with a touch of a finger, and back to square one with the green button. Inside with studio lights it's full manual.

Most reactions

Back