What Next?

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been going through my gear, doing what I should've done a long time ago and writing down serial numbers and photographing my gear.

It dawned on me that I don't know what I need next, if anything. Here's what I'm using:

• Canon 5D w/grip
  • Canon 40D w/grip
  • Canon 85mm f/1.8
  • Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
  • Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L
  • Sigma 50-500mm
  • Off-brand, but decent 2X Converter
  • Canon G12
  • 580 EXII (x2)
  • Decent Slik tripod
  • Remote releases for all cameras
  • More camera bags than any one man should have (but these are the "guy" version of purses, so I think I can get more)
  • Old set of Novatrons
  • An assortment of filters which sit, largely unused

I have no interest in ever shooting video so, despite the fact that the two DSLR's are older, they do the job I need them to do. I can't think of anything I'd want to shoot which can't be shot successfully with those cameras. I've got focal lengths covered from 24mm to 500mm, or more if I use the 2X (which I never use, really). I have studio lights; albeit they're a little old, they're very nice lights and get the job done.

I'm drawn to camera stores like a moth to a flame, but I rarely, if ever, spend much money. I've turned into a tire-kicker.

Aside from more talent and a hot wife, what am I missing?

Other than more talent and a hot wife, how about off-camera flash brackets? You probably already have them. But I like the RRS WPF myself.

Don't know how much indoor work you may do, but I use my 16-35 f2.8L ii when I want 'wider' than the 24-105 that's usually mounted on my camera will produce. You may want to try out a 135 f2L as well. Drop dead sharp and outstanding 3D-like separation of subject and background.

ahahaha, unfocused gearlust, the worst kind! must. buy. something. must be. something. I. need.

what I do when I get to this stage is to go buy a book on a photography subject I've not tried (or not tried for a while), and try to get inspired to do some new photography, rather than buy new toys.

Happily this useually leads to needing new toys, so all is well in the end. eg go buy a book on macro photography, get inspired and then realise you don't have a macro lens in all that gear ;)

And it's always easier to justify it to the wife when you can wave example material under her nose and bemoan that fact you can't make photos like this because you're missing [insert name of new toy here]

In my experience, when I'm asking "what do I need now", I don't really need anything... Put the money aside until you find something that you do need or want!

Agree with tirediron. just sit comfy and wait till you find that need arise. or go the opposite and just go buy something fun lol.

Other than more talent and a hot wife, how about off-camera flash brackets? You probably already have them. But I like the RRS WPF myself.

Can I have a choice between those and the hot wife?

Yeah, I've got brackets. I should've added that I have a mountain of little doodads and doohickies...

Don't know how much indoor work you may do, but I use my 16-35 f2.8L ii when I want 'wider' than the 24-105 that's usually mounted on my camera will produce. You may want to try out a 135 f2L as well. Drop dead sharp and outstanding 3D-like separation of subject and background.

Hmmmmmm... Nice. It may be a bit spendy for me right now, but samples I've seen are pretty sweet.

I've been toying with the idea of the 100mm macro. I'm doing a lot of guitar photography right now, and have been using my bosses 100mm to get some ridiculously sweet close up images.

Then again, I have to think: If the boss is letting me use her 100mm any time I want, why buy one?

In my experience, when I'm asking "what do I need now", I don't really need anything...

Yeah, I'm thinking that where I'm at.

I bought some rain bags for my gear the other day, just to say I bought something...

:er:

Since I have pretty much everything I need to stay in business I fed my gear lust by buying a Mamiya RB67 and a bunch lenses. But I keep forgetting to buy film. :)

Softboxes & umbrellas.

have you considered an ultra wide since your widest is 24mm at the moment?
maybe a fisheye just for kicks?

A hot wife that doesn't mind you spending the money is worth every penny.

How about a micro 4/3 camera for the times you want to catch good photos, but with a much smaller footprint? You know.... travel, vacations, out and about.

The macro could be a fun way to go.

Missing from your list is a great long prime lens, either the 300 or 400mm 2.8 IS... use those once, even paired with a 1.4 TC, and that 50-500 will gather tons of dust since you would have the shorter focal legths covered by other lenses.

Last edited:
All good suggestions, although I think if I were to go to a long prime, it would be the f/5.6 version of the 400mm. Financially, the f/2.8 version is a pipe dream. I just don't have that kinda' jack...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back