What people need to know about cooking....

Lowrey's Seasoned Salt
Lea & Perrin's Worchestershire (the ONLY good brand - everythign else tastes like pure sardines)
Sneaky' Pete's sauce

Between those three just about anything can be made edible!

I wife and I do enjoy cooking and keep each other well fed.

My Calphalon cookware is a pleasure to cook with. Best I've owned to date. My knives are a selection of Henkels Zwilling Fier Sterne that I pieced together while living in Germany. I consider my 6" chef's knife to be indispensible.

I don't know about crowd-pleasers but my wife is a fan of my pizza, handmade top to bottom. The sauce starts with a red wine reduction and includes a splash of balsamico. She also twists my arm for Chinese sesame chicken wings and pork-filled pot stickers. My signature dish is Panko Pinwheel Halibut served with Spicy Hollandaise.

I agree the grill is the preferred post-mortem habitat of steak. However, if it's sufficiently thick enough (like various tenderloin cuts) pan roasting works deliciously well. My favorite off-grill steak recipe is filet mignon pan-roasted with mushrooms, served with a pinot noir reduction.

Bace — Next time you make that ceasar, try giving the chicken a good saute. It doesn't take long, locks in the juices, and the Maillard reaction gives it a lot more flavor than baking IMO.

when you say "pan-roasted", do you mean frying pan? cause if so...I can do that.

NEVER SHARPEN YOUR OWN KNIVES.

this will never ever get them as sharp as they were when you first bought them. get a qualified blacksmith or machinist to sharpen them mechanically. Its the only way.

also, sex is like chinese dinner...its not over until you both get your cookies.

remember that, write it down or something.

It starts on the range top but for Pete's sake, don't fry it...unless, of course, you're going for Southern Fried Steak. If you can safely use your fry/saute pan in the oven, you can pan roast.

Basically, you give the steak a good sear (with only enough oil to prevent sticking) to nicely brown the meat. Then, it goes in the oven to finish. My filets mignons only roast for about 12 minutes or so at 375°.

PetersCreek said:
It starts on the range top but for Pete's sake, don't fry it...unless, of course, you're going for Southern Fried Steak. If you can safely use your fry/saute pan in the oven, you can pan roast.

Basically, you give the steak a good sear (with only enough oil to prevent sticking) to nicely brown the meat. Then, it goes in the oven to finish. My filets mignons only roast for about 12 minutes or so at 375°.

Ok..explain the steak thing further, if you would. So...I put it in my fry pan...how high do I have the burner? ....just enough to cook the outside? Then I put the whole fry pan in the oven? What temp? How long?

what she said!

I kind of explained it earlier in the thread.
I like to pan fry to get a good crust on the surface of the steak and finish off in the oven at 350 deg F till the doneness you want. Let the steak rest out of the oven for about 5-10 minutes before cutting into it. The juices will redistribute throughout the steak.

I would not use the frypan in the oven if it has a plastic handle, just use a small baking dish. I go with a medium to high heat for the searing part. I said 350deg but PetersCreek uses 375deg. Not that big a difference.

core_17 said:
Hmmm...guess I'll have to try that. :)
Searing is all about subjecting meats to high heat, briefly, to act as a sealant for the juices. It's also how I roast turkeys and chicken. Preheat the oven to a very high heat - 450'. The minute you put your bird in the oven, you reduce the heat to 350, and roast as usual. I always try to start basting about 45 minutes in. This method has never let me down. You get a beautifully browned bird that is moist and tender.

It really needs to start cooling down now, so I can get back to cooking like this. :lol: I leave off most baking/roasting in the summer months.

terri said:
Searing is all about subjecting meats to high heat, briefly, to act as a sealant for the juices.

One of my BBQ'ing secrets. But you haven't cooked until you've seared steaks on a ceramic grill that's just over 1000degF.

It really needs to start cooling down now, so I can get back to cooking like this. I leave off most baking/roasting in the summer months.
I am looking forward to the stews and soups and to all the slow cooked food like braised short ribs.

Better than any scented candle out there.

Most reactions

Back