What photographic equipment you usually bring when traveling?

my maiden voyage with my dslr setup in June.
should be as follows.

Nikon D300 with MB-D10
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
2 x 4GB CF

Hopefully I can get a UWA DX lens before I go.

All carried in a Lowepro bag.

I travel in a 38' motorhome so space is not a problem. I usually have 2 Yashica TLRs, 3 Pentax SLR bodies (2 autofocus) 2 28-80, a 70-300, 400 tele + 2X converter, a couple of tripods, a monopod, fisheye adapter for the 28mm, at least 1 prime 50 & 28. Then I also carry an Olympus water resistant 7.1 MP digital and a Fuji 14 MP. I also have a refrigerator and freezer for my film. That is a long way from "all I have". I have everything I need handy.

Depends on where & how I'm travelling, and what the purpose of the travel is. Bare minimum is: Two bodies, 16-200mm coverage, one speedlight, CPOL, ND & G-NDs, tripod, rain cover, remote release.

minimum when hiking:
5D2, 17-40mm, 24-105mm, polarizer, LEE filter system and 2 ND grads,
tiny tripod or no tripod

maximum when hiking:
5D2, 17-40mm, 24-105mm, 300mm, polarizer, 3 ND filters, LEE filter system and 3 ND grads, several spare batteries and CF cards
4x5 field camera, 75mm and 150mm Schneider-Kreuznach lenses, various colour filters for b&w film, changing bag, 10 film holders (5 loaded with colour slide film and 5 with classic b&w), several full and empty boxes of sheet film
heavier tripod

not hiking but driving a car:
unlimited ;)

To a trip with the family I bring my entire photographic equipment which is not much.

Nikon D7000
18-105mm VR
50mm f1.8

And my wife has the

Canon G15

Going to Hong Kong in 7 days for five weeks so far I've got...
Kata bug 203 bag
Nikon D600
50mm 1.8G
16-35mm f4 VRII
SB-700
Benro carbon travel angel
And a ton of sd cards, chargers etc.

Just for a day out, whatever I can fit in the diaper bag. (aka, not much)

For a bigger trip - when it's worth it to pack a separate bag just for the gear ...
D40
Spare battery, and charger
Couple memory cards
18-55 kit lens
70-200 lens
2x and .5x converters
macro converters
polarizing filter
speedlite
IR remote (occasionally I want to be IN the shot too!)
Laptop w/card reader
The gear bag, and a backpack as well

Oh, and our P&S with its charger and memory card too.

I don't take tripod (or mono either). On family trips, no one wants to wait around for me to do my thing in one spot ... it's shoot on the fly, or not at all. Plus they take up a lot of space in our limited checked-bag allowance.

I'd suggest a wide angle lens and a medium zoom lens while travelling instead of carrying all the gear and accessories you have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back