What photography magazines have you found useful?

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
What photography magazines do you prefer to read?

National Geographic. I find its generally got some of the more inspiring photography and articles that are well written and aimed at the slightly more matured reader.

Sadly I find a lot of the regular shelf magazines for photography tend to pitch toward beginners and purchases who don't read online reviews. The articles tend to get recycled each year and give a very basic introduction to some common subject shooting. Mix that with a lot of adverts and then a few gear reviews and the space for a bit more matured content is a bit thin I find.

Useful? Very few.

I love B&W Magazine (and Color Magazine now too - they merged, in a non-selective coloring way, lol), but that's mostly just eye candy. Very few ads - that justifies the higher than average issue price for me.

Last edited:
Like Overread said, a lot of what is on the shelf is pretty thin in subject matter BUT I don't mind Popular Photography. It is a very 'beginnner' magazine and has a lot of ads, but I usually find a tip or two in it and I'm a bit of a gear head so I like all the product reviews.

The price is right for most of them. You can find a yearly subscription for around 6-12 dollars. For 50 cents to a dollar an issue, you can't really go wrong.

Never read one. Typically stick with free online stuff, books from Half priced Books, and lately Kelby Training.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back