What pulled you in?

Luke345678

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there everybody! I am actually quite interested in how everyone got into photography. It would be much appreciated if you could take the time to answer the questions! :D

1. What got you into photography?
2. What was the first picture you took? (Once you got into it)
3. What was your first interest? (Landscape, People, Sports, ect.)
4. What brand do you prefer? (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, ect.)

My answers...
1. About two years ago I was at the beach and I saw an amazing sunset over the beach. I snapped a few pictures with my moms DSLR. I woke up the next morning and got even more of the sunrise. That whole week I was begging my parents for a camera and I actually ended up getting a Nikon point and shoot that I quickly fell in love with. The next week I took over 1,000 pictures and stored them on "Iphoto."
2. The first picture I took was the sunset over the beach.
3. My first interest was Landscape and Nature photography. Anything outside I quickly fell in love with.
4. For about six months I used Nikon until I switched over to Canon and let me tell you I don't regret that a single bit.

Ran in the family. I had some old medium format camera... couldn't even tell you what brand it was.

Probably a flower in the front of my home when I was a young boy.

Landscape, they don't talk back and rarely move quickly.

Nikon, and Hasselblad.

1. I found my dad's dis-used Rollei (a medium-format twin lens film camera) and started using it. I quickly got the "bug". A while later I started working as an apprentice to a professional photographer (I think I was 16 at the time) -- which means you haul gear, set things up, tear them down, constantly re-load film magazines, but generally never "shoot" the camera yourself (not on a customer paid engagement). I could use the studio gear at will the rest of the time and was encouraged to bring people in for practice shoots to work on my own skills. Eventually I would be the guy with the camera, but that took a while.

2. I have no idea what the first photo was that I took. It was just too long ago.

3. I prefer landscapes, architecture, and nature today. After years and years of shooting people who aren't professional models I found that doing something other then people represented a refreshing change.

4. I dislike the brand-name wars. I shoot with a Canon, but frankly any capable camera will do a great job. I think people ascribe far too much importance to the brand. As long as the camera body has the minimum specs for the task at hand it'll do fine. I realize you used to shoot Nikon and now shoot Canon. But to be fair, you shot with a Nikon point & shoot and then you switched to a Canon DSLR. I suspect you're more blown away by going from any point & shoot to any DSLR and the fact that one was a Nikon and the other was a Canon had little impact on it (you'd be equally blown away if you had gone to a Nikon DSLR.) It's hard to buy a "bad" DSLR these days.

Usually if I'm going to bias the decision by brand it'll be because the person asking the question already has gear from brand A so buying a newer brand A body means they protect their existing investment... or their friend/shooting buddy has a brand B camera and if they go with brand B it means they can pool their gear (flashes, lenses, etc.) for some shoots and help each other out. I would not buy a Nikon vs. Canon because I think one is "better". Neither is better... they simply represent tiny trade-offs in one area in exchange for some benefits in another area. Nobody really emerges as the best.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Yeah I agree with that comment about the brand war, people do get to caught up in it. I have shot with a Nikon DSLR but for some reason I still have this love for Canon and I don't see myself ever going back to Nikon. There both great brands and like you said there really is no better DSLR these days, there all great. As you said there are tiny trade offs and due too that I have sided with Canon. Once again thank you for your reply, I love seeing how other people started.

Oh there are plenty of "better" dslr's out there. :D

But I get what you're saying.

I started to shoot pictures because I had heard that women would run up to me and strip off their clothing, demanding that I first take their picture and then ravish them repeatedly.

Years and cameras later
Still waiting.

I was in second year university taking a super abstract math course and philosophy as well and needed some kind of medium in which to express. Photography was the right medium at the right time given its intuitive nature--one doesn't necessarily have to be 'thinking' to successfully express with it.

probably cobwebs on the radiator--certainly something static and in my room.

Abstract, atmospheric images.

I'm not familiar with Nikon or Olympus, so it seems odd to say that I prefer Canon; but that's what I use.

Last edited:
1. I took a photo that I thought was a bit arty and wanted to do some more, but on purpose.

2. This was that photo mentioned in question 1. I still consider it my first photography photo, but it's the one that initially made me want to take it more seriously! :

Tall cactus by Forkie, on Flickr

3. Wildlife (mostly birds)

4. Nikon

All the hot girls were in photography class...

runnah said:
All the hot girls were in photography class...

Hey, EVERY girl wants to be a photographer sometime in their life. ;)

I started to shoot pictures because I had heard that women would run up to me and strip off their clothing, demanding that I first take their picture and then ravish them repeatedly.

Years and cameras later
Still waiting.
Same reason I got into photography!! :lol:

Years and cameras later
Still waiting.
Same reason I got into photography!! :lol:
That's "Hawt" :lmao:

I always had in interest in photography. Its hard to tell what really got me into it, but once i finally got a job after college I bought my 7D and started taking pictures and never stopped.

The first thing I took a picture with when I got my camera and got into it was my dad laying on the couch just to test out the camera.

Mainly sports for me. I like Landscape and scenery also. People I shoot but still am working on that.

I prefer canon

Every thread I post I swear it some how turns into getting girls, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back