What's new

What say you??

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. I've been agonizing about making an offer on this for the past couple days. Now, the time has come to either take the plunge or walk away. The seller wants $700 but is open to offers. He says everything works properly (aperture blades are clean and snappy, focus is fast and silent, hood pulls out and locks, etc.) and the small scratch doesnt affect image quality (I believe him, especially since I'm using a DX camera). Returns are accepted. Would you do it if you were me? KEH wants $1170 for EX condition. I guess this would be BGN, so they'd probably ask something like $925 or something similar.

I attached photos for reference to condition.

ScreenShot2011-10-28at30431PM.png


The scratch!
ScreenShot2011-10-28at30420PM.png


Mark
 
My guess is that's closer to ugly. I could be wrong though.

Honestly, I would save and buy one in better condition. But that is my opinion.
 
I asked KEH about an ugly lens and they said they call it UG when it's unusable in the sense that there's either something detrimentally wrong with the optics, or terrible haze, etc on the inside that makes the lens only good for parts or repair.

Mark
 
I would go over with a wallet with a bunch of $20 bills in it and pull out $600...

Condition looks okay. That lens focuses close, and is easy to carry either on a body, or in a case slung over the shoulder. it works quite well with an extension tube, and with the TC 14e-II. Focusing is average to good in speed...not a speed demon AF-wise, not always "nailed" especially with the converter added, the AF becomes very "nervous" with the 1.4x added.

I would not call that "ugly"..the lens has 75% of original finish on it....and the glass is mostly clean,or so it appears. I'd go up to $650 if you really want it. That dinky scratch on the front element is NOTHING!
 
I asked KEH about an ugly lens and they said they call it UG when it's unusable in the sense that there's either something detrimentally wrong with the optics, or terrible haze, etc on the inside that makes the lens only good for parts or repair.

Mark

Right on...thanks for the info.
 
@Derrel: My thoughts exactly. I'll keep this updated with my decision!

Mark
 
Function is more important than the cosmetics, but you can use the cosmetics to finalise the selling price in your favor.

As Derrel pointed out, if you can get face-to-face with the seller - cash money talks loudly - Be sure and fan out those $20's.
 
Function is more important than the cosmetics, but you can use the cosmetics to finalise the selling price in your favor.
Be sure and fan out those $20's.

Excellent points, both!!! Make sure you make multiple comments about the "rough shape" and "wear on the finish", etc.,etc. And yeah....fan the bills out sort of "subconsciously"...you can even have 200 in $10's if you have a mind to make the cold, crisp,green cash money look even more inviting. The seller probably already has something else in mind...maybe even rent money...cash talks loudly these days...
 
Well, the guy was quite hard to haggle with. But I eventually got him down to $645. The way I see it, that's damn good considering it's a $1350 lens, new. That's effectively less than half the new price for what I hope to be a very satisfying lens!

Mark
 
great, now let's see some action!
 
Will do! I won't be free to drive to pick it up until around Tuesday. So, it'll be about a week. :blushing:

Mark
 
Mark,

Have you checked Service Photo in B'More? Last time I was there they had a much nicer version of the 300 f/4 for around the same prince.. that was a month ago but might be worth a call...

I would stay clear of this one at 925.00, maybe 700, it's seen some pretty heavy use. Worst case is that it might need a 300.00 service soon if not immediately which would put it near the price of a new lens.. Best case is you get a heavily used lens for 25% less than a brand new lens.

Bottom line: it's really only 1349.00 brand new so work the guy on thew price...
 
I didn't, but I should have. It's not a big deal, though, if you thought I was getting this for $925 and that's the price they were selling theirs for. I got it for $645, less than half the cost of a new lens. :lol:

Mark
 
good to hear that... that's a much better price
 
:D

ScreenShot2011-10-31at95249PM.png


Mark
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom