Which would you buy (used d700)?

KatiePurple

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!
I am brand-new to this forum; I was active in ILP millions of years ago (when it was also active, lol) but other obligations have kept me out of the photography world for many years now. I'm looking forward to getting back into participation on a photography board...apart from hundreds of hours of practice, I can attribute so much of what I know about photography to the generous experts on the message boards!

I'd like some advice. I've been using my awesome workhorse of a Nikon D50 since shortly after my daughter was born...more than sixteen years ago :). It's been a great little camera for me, and with a few high quality lenses (50mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8, sigma 105mm macro) I have been able to do a lot. But I need something that can do better with low light, so I have decided to buy a used Nikon d700. I know that's a pretty old camera to the pros, but it's going to be a huge step up for me!

There are 4 that I am looking at:
  • $710 at B&H: Item condition 9 ("Shows signs of use, but very clean"), About 50,000 actuations, 30 day return/90 day warranty
  • $650 at B&H: Item condition 8+ ("Shows moderate wear or finish marks"), about 28,000 actuations, 30 day return/90 day warranty
  • $560 at B&H: Item condition 8 ("Well used - may exhibit "dings" or finish marks"), about 17,000 actuations, 30 day return/90 day warranty
  • $599 at KEH: Item condition EX ("The rating of the equipment is at 80 to 89 percent of original condition. Shows moderate wear for the age of the item, with the possibility of small dings or blemishes. Glass may have slight blemishes but will not affect picture quality."), they can't tell me the # of actuations, and 180 day warranty
Any opinions? My current thinking is that both B&H and KEH are reputable dealers and both get good marks for used equipment, so I will have to take their word that the cameras are fully functional.
The higher clicks plus high price of the $710 one at B&H make that one a little less desirable to me, although the camera is rated to 150000 clicks.
I lean toward the $650 at B&H partly for the Goldilocks rationale. I find the better warranty at KEH appealing, but not knowing the actuations makes me a little nervous.

What do you think? Any help is appreciated!

Katie

What do you think? Any help is appreciated!
Welcome! We're glad you're here!

I agree with the "Goldilocks" rationale. The entire range is only $100, (+-) so get the one that makes you grin when it arrives.

I just checked E-bay. quite a few offerings, most seem to be auction items. I prefer the "buy it now" price. sometimes you can purchase a 1-year warranty from a third party provider. The cost for that is $54.

Good luck!

I was about to pick up a D700, my sister has been using one since they came out. But finally went with a D800e for about $200 over the D700 prices.

I expect any one of the choices would be good. The D700 is still a great camera and the prices are very good.

Thank you both for your replies! I do find that as I do my research I start getting tempted by the newer cameras...I try to keep reminding myself of what I want this camera to do. I care a lot about lower light (but not things like caves, more like basketball games in poorly lit gyms), don't care at all about video, and I am taking these photos for my own/my family's enjoyment. So I'm trying to resist temptation to spend the extra $200-$400 for a more recent model. The only thing is that I am definitely a person who keeps things for the long haul...I'm not sure whether this means I should stick with the d700 b/c people say it is extremely well built, or if it means that I should get a more recent model.

Undoubtedly I will overanalyze this until the ones I mentioned in my OP are gone :).

Undoubtedly I will overanalyze this until the ones I mentioned in my OP are gone :).
Don't worry about missing any one particular deal. There are always plenty of them available.

As to the choice of the D700, that camera is on my wish list because of its outstanding ability to render skin tones. My interest lately has been portraiture, so that is how I decide what gear to buy. I have purchased several nice lenses for their color and contrast rendering. I am still working on lighting and a D700 when I can scrape together the dough.

I still regret the deal I saw a month ago; a D700 kit with EVERYTHING. I seem to recall a lens or two, low clicks, vertical grip, about 6 memory cards, extra batteries, charger, cables, manuals, extra book, strap, boxes, and a bunch of smaller stuff. It was for auction, and eventually went for (IIRC) $700. I just didn't have that much in my camera stash. :(

I still regret the deal I saw a month ago; a D700 kit with EVERYTHING. I seem to recall a lens or two, low clicks, vertical grip, about 6 memory cards, extra batteries, charger, cables, manuals, extra book, strap, boxes, and a bunch of smaller stuff. It was for auction, and eventually went for (IIRC) $700. I just didn't have that much in my camera stash. :(
Frankly that sounds like somebody tried to get rid of a heap of garbage that wont sell separately anyway.

Lenses are the most important part of any camera, dont buy second rate ones.

Frankly that sounds like somebody tried to get rid of a heap of garbage that wont sell separately anyway.

Lenses are the most important part of any camera, dont buy second rate ones.
As I recall, the commentary in the ad stated that he was moving to a smaller, lighter system, something like 4/3 or mirrorless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back