What settings are your D90s on?

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my d90 is a few days old and im learning more and more and getting used to my first nikon. it has nifty features like long exp. NR, high iso NR, active D lighting....how much of that do y'all use? and if you do what sensitivity for each one?

It's more a question of what you're doing. I shoot mostly in AP due to the fact that I'm generally more interested in DoF than stopping motion. If I'm interested in doing motion effects, I move to SP. Manual is for times that the camera isn't smart enough to do what I want.

Also, in general, keep your ISO as low as possible while keeping motion blur from being a problem.

EDIT: Also, in general stay away from D-lighting and noise reduction stuff. Shoot in RAW and do all that crap later in PP.

my d90 is a few days old and im learning more and more and getting used to my first nikon. it has nifty features like long exp. NR, high iso NR, active D lighting....how much of that do y'all use? and if you do what sensitivity for each one?
Don't forget the fisheye feature!

Also, keep in mind that the D90 also has Cleavage Detection Autofocus, which in the Dynamic Autofocus mode, automatically shifts the active AF focusing point to where the camera detects cleavage, and it also puts added light metering emphasis on that specific focusing point, to ensure the perfect exposure for the active AF area. So, set the focusing switch (on the left front area of the camera,near the lens mount) to C, not S, and then look around for the Cleavage Detection Autofocus setting in one of the menus...I cannot recall where it is exactly. But summertime is coming up soon, so you'd better hurry up and find it!

Wishing you all the best!
Derrel

Also, keep in mind that the D90 also has Cleavage Detection Autofocus, which in the Dynamic Autofocus mode, automatically shifts the active AF focusing point to where the camera detects cleavage, and it also puts added light metering emphasis on that specific focusing point, to ensure the perfect exposure for the active AF area. So, set the focusing switch (on the left front area of the camera,near the lens mount) to C, not S, and then look around for the Cleavage Detection Autofocus setting in one of the menus...I cannot recall where it is exactly. But summertime is coming up soon, so you'd better hurry up and find it!

Derrel

Awesome..I"m going to have to hunt this down in my menu....sounds like it's time for all those weak D700 users to upgrade to the D90. :thumbup:

You might check out www.bythom.com for a good D90 guide, I got one for a D80, then D300 and liked them allot.

I have a D300, but many settings are similar. A few random thoughts…

As for settings, I mainly shoot Aperture Priority (switching to manual or shutter priority sometimes).

I don't use D lighting because I prefer to manage shadows and highlights in post processing. Some images you really don’t want it anyway. I prefer more control over my shadows.

I use in camera NR, some prefer to handle it all in post processing though. I often am fine with what the camera does here. Something to be aware of is Long Exposure NR takes a while to process (just so you are not aught off guard). I like the results it gives personally. Rule of thumb is it takes as long to process as it took to expose the image.

I like the picture control of portrait for people, and landscape for landscape (go figure). I think the results are pretty good and get me in the ballpark before post processing. I shoot RAW+Jpeg, so I always have the RAW to get out of the picture control. But generally, those two have worked great for me. Occasionally I don’t like the results, but it can be attributed to a WB issue or something else, and, like I said, I have the RAW if I need it.

If you haven’t already, I would move away from the auto-area focus, and use the focus selector where YOU choose where the camera focuses. Sometimes when aiming blind I’ll use auto-area focus, but mostly use the focus selector.

For While Balance, I change OFTEN. I dial in Sun, shade, cloud, flash as appropriate, Sometimes I just use Auto if it’s a mix of light. Sometimes a test to see if a pre-set named WB setting is better or if Auto does better. For fill-flash outside I often use flash WB.

from Nikonusa.com's D90 page

In-Camera Image Editing: Creative freedom stems from exclusive in-camera image editing, featuring Fisheye effect, Straighten and Distortion Control as well as D-Lighting, Red-eye Reduction, Image Overlay, Monochrome and more.

Derrel

So thats what the 'c' stands for on my d200!! Hmm, whats the s for? Finding smart women in a crowd?

Saw this on TPF some time ago. It's Canon, but no "C" control. Newer models probably have that and more. Any similar shots of Nikons floating around? Tom Beard

Attachments

• $canon30d.jpg
    $canon30d.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 100
Saw this on TPF some time ago. It's Canon, but no "C" control. Newer models probably have that and more. Any similar shots of Nikons floating around? Tom Beard

Man, that Pizza button feature Canon has come up with sure looks awesome, Tom!!! And the pee break/pause button--simply ingenious! What will Canon think up next?

Most reactions

Back