What should I get?

JayClark79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have roughly $800 - $900 to spend... I definently want a flash and was going to get the 580ex ii, id also like either a 50mm 1.8 or the 50mm 1.4... If i get the 1.4 and the flash that will blow all the money.... Id also like a grip, and a remote and maybe a LCD cover since im scared to death to scratch this thing...

I dont do off camera yet but I would like to which is the reason for the 580exii... I could possibly get the 430ex ii now and have alittle more cash... but that would just be a greater expense (for the 580) when i was ready for multiple flashes..... UGH the choices.

I think I would go with the 430ex ii(not a canon guy but just checked both out) because it is about 160 dollars less and I don't know exactly what you will be using it for or with but the 430 seems great for everything. Also with the 1.4 and 1.8 it depends if you want to spend the extra 250 for maybe a bit better bokeh and low light conditions but the 1.8 is still a great proven quality lens. If you get the 1.8 50mm and the 430ex you will be able to save about 400 dollars you would be able to get the grip for your camera a screen protector a wireless remote some studio equipment if you want maybe an umbrella some slaves and w.e. you want and you will still have about 2-3 hundred dollars. GL
-TJ

I was thinking 1.4 over the 1.8 because its only a couple hundred more.. and from what iv read the 1.8 is made out of pastic? and feels like its going to fall apart? So my thinking there was pay the extra get a better lense and not have to worry about replacing the 1.8 if/when it breaks...

The flash will be for general purpose/portraits... I am not a professional photographer just addicted to this hobby.

It is pretty darn addicting. I don't know too much about the build quality but if you can justify paying the extra 250 and have the money more power to you. But if it does feel cheap you could always return it or even buy 2 more and have 50 dollars extra lol but seriously if you can get the 1.4 i guess that would be better i.e. better bokeh, better low light, and build quality. The decision is up to you.
-TJ

Skip the grip, I'm not sure why people are buying these things, it's simply for looks unless you are shooting continuos action.

Go with the 1.4 if you can, you won't be disappointed (the big difference between the two is the number of blades and the focusing mechanism.)

if you wanna do off camera flash why not skip the 430/580 and just get a cactus trigger/cheaper old flash combo

Skip the grip, I'm not sure why people are buying these things
I thought not only for comfort but you got the 2 batteries, with the option of AA's?

why not skip the 430/580 and just get a cactus trigger/cheaper old flash combo

I think even if i did get the 430/580 i would still need a "trigger" of some sort to do off camera flash correct? I dunno for sure iv watch the video and read up some at strobist.com im still not 100% sure lol

Skip the grip, I'm not sure why people are buying these things, it's simply for looks unless you are shooting continuos action.

Or if you want nice extended battery life because you're on vacation or out doing something and need that extra battery life. It also is great for shooting portraits with the vertical controls and shutter button. Depending on the camera it can even increase shutter speed if you needed that like sport photography. If he wants it there are indeed many uses for it.

I vote that you get.......

....me a Nikkor 60mm 2.8 micro lens!

Im having a toss up with the flash i think... The 580 will control other 580's and 430's.... will it control other cheaper flashes like the 220? or just something less expensive?

I mean i need to by the transmitter regaurdless if i do off camera shooting... so like someone else said why not just get the 430 get some V4's and use that to control the other flashes?

Bologna;)

I get WAY WAY WAY more shots with my grip(fitted with Lithium AAs) than I do with the rechargeable pack alone in the body. I'm talking 4K+ shots. I don't even know the limit, as I'm over 3K right now and the battery meter hasn't even moved. I doubt I could do that minus the grip.

Not to mention portrait orientation you don't have to twist your arm to gain access to the shutter release and control dials...;)

Bologna;)

I get WAY WAY WAY more shots with my grip(fitted with Lithium AAs) than I do with the rechargeable pack alone in the body. I'm talking 4K+ shots. I don't even know the limit, as I'm over 3K right now and the battery meter hasn't even moved. I doubt I could do that minus the grip.

Not to mention portrait orientation you don't have to twist your arm to gain access to the shutter release and control dials...;)

4000?
That's approximately one shot every minute for 65 hours. Don't you sleep?

LOL, that's cumulative shots. I've had the new body for a few weeks now.

But no, I don't sleep(much):lol:

Most reactions

Back