What lens i should get....

GorillaJJitsu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yes yes I know. Depends on what you like to shoot right? I know.

I like to shoot Jiu jitsu when I’m at my school which is obviously more on the sports end, but I like portraits of my kids and friends and getting candies too etc. so I guess I’m looking for a more versatile lens?

I get these bonus checks from my company in December because I’m a union worker. My budget will be about $2000 and I want more insight on what lenses you guys think are top of the line and would be worth the money for what i look To shoot. (I own a canon 6dmarkii, a 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and 24-105mm 4.0).

I would rather discuss this amongst people who are experienced with camera equipment to get an idea for a lens I should get. Hope to get some good feedback as i always Do on here! You guys rule!

Canon 70-200 with image stablizer; either the "new" f/4 version or the new f2.8 mark II version.

Canon 70-200 with image stablizer; either the "new" f/4 version or the new f2.8 mark II version.

Yea that lens looks amazing. It can work for portraits, sports and landscape?

Derrel said it right!

Ive since ( since obtaining 70-200) tossed my nifty 50. I also use the 24-105. Id rather move ma feet and shoot the 70-200!

Yes the 70 to 200 mm zoom works for almost anything. The 70 to 200 mm is probably the number one lens among a sizable percentage of landscape shooters,portraitists, and sports shooters. I personally think that is one of the most valuable lenses to own. I used to own Canon's 70 to 200 f/2.8 L – IS USM, As well as their 24 to 105 mm Ff/4-L, which is a good general purpose lens, but the 70-200 range is really good for outdoor work of many types, and it is good as a portrait lens in the studio as well. The newer f/4 version is a very high-quality lens and id not an inferior lens to the f/2.8 version as was the case with the old f/4 70 mm to 200 mm zoom which had no image stabilizer feature. The newer f/4 version was developed in response to higher megapixel digital cameras, and it's an extremely good lens, which will save you size and weight.

Last edited:
Get the longest best lens you can afford................

Yes the 70 to 200 mm zoom works for almost anything. The 70 to 200 mm is probably the number one lens among a sizable percentage of landscape shooters,portraitists, and sports shooters. I personally think that is one of the most valuable lenses to own. I used to own Canon's 70 to 200 F2.8 L – IS USM, As well as their 24 to 105 mm F4L, which is a good General purpose lens, but the 70-200 range is really good for outdoor work of many types, and it is good as a portrait lens in the studio as well. The newer F4 version is a very high-quality lend and there's not an inferior lens to the F2.8 version as was the case with the old 70 mm to 200 mm zoom which had no image stabilizer feature. The newer F4 version was developed in response to higher megapixel digital cameras, and it's an extremely good lens, which will save you size and weight.
Because of you buddy i am Gonna get this one. Any suggestions on where i should Buy it from?

If you're in America then places like B&H and Adorama are popular online along with places like Amazon. In general its a big enough product that most major retailers that sell cameras will sell it so shop around. That said remember that camera gear doesn't have huge margins on sales so if you find any prices way below the general then be cautious. It could be a scam, a switch and bait or a grey import that isn't declaring itself as such

Note grey importing isn't illegal and Canon will at least repair lenses in different territories to where they are sold from (though any warranty will only be honoured in the original country/region of source).

I'll also second the suggestion, the 70-200mm range is amazingly versatile and its a good solid workhorse for many photographers in sports, portraits, landscapes - just about anything its got a use.

If you're in America then places like B&H and Adorama are popular online along with places like Amazon. In general its a big enough product that most major retailers that sell cameras will sell it so shop around. That said remember that camera gear doesn't have huge margins on sales so if you find any prices way below the general then be cautious. It could be a scam, a switch and bait or a grey import that isn't declaring itself as such

Note grey importing isn't illegal and Canon will at least repair lenses in different territories to where they are sold from (though any warranty will only be honoured in the original country/region of source).

I'll also second the suggestion, the 70-200mm range is amazingly versatile and its a good solid workhorse for many photographers in sports, portraits, landscapes - just about anything its got a use.

I just Want to be able to buy from canon Incase something happens to it they will take it and fix it. Buy something from Newegg or Adorama and something happens you’re ****ed haha.

Derrel said it right!

Ive since ( since obtaining 70-200) tossed my nifty 50. I also use the 24-105. Id rather move ma feet and shoot the 70-200!

How much did you spend on your 70-200? And is the the 4? Or the 2.8 ?

I bought the 70 to 200 f/2.8 L IS USM around 2006.
As I recall it was $1599 or $1699, I really can't remember which. Since ISO performance has gotten so much better, I actually think that the F4 version makes much more sense for most people. When I bought mine as I recall the F4 image stabilizer version was not yet available.

Derrel said it right!

How much did you spend on your 70-200? And is the the 4? Or the 2.8

I bought the 70 to 200 f/2.8 L IS USM around 2006.
As I recall it was $1599 or $1699, I really can't remember which. Since ISO performance has gotten so much better, I actually think that the F4 version makes much more sense for most people. When I bought mine as I recall the F4 image stabilizer version was not yet available.

Ah ok. So yea. I should Get the mark 2. The sample photos online seem incredible.

Yes the Marktwo is a Very good lens,but the new f/4 Version with the image stabilizer is a really good lens, and is much smaller and lighter, and easier to carry. I personally don't see much value in the lens that is only F2.8, when canon has extremely fast f/1.2 F1.4 and F1.8 and F2 prime lenses, in the 85 mm, 100 mm, and 135 mm lengths. The primes are incredibly sharp, and pretty light, and affordable. I personally was never really that thrilled with shooting at F2.8 and I think that most experts have come to see the F2.8 70 to 200 mm lens as somewhat of a legacy left over from the film era.

As I have grown older and more experienced, I have come to see the value of having a smaller easier to carry lens in almost all cases, and nowhere else is this more drew them with the 70 mm to 200 mm him. I sold both my Nikon and my Canon 70 to 200 F2.8 lenses, and I've gone to more of the prime centric lineup, and an older 80 to 200 F/4 constant aperture manual focus Lens from the 1980s

I think if you want a lens for low light conditions, you're better off with a really really fast aperture prime lens, which will be even better at F2.8 than any zoom ever made.

For day trips I think a light weight 70 to 300 mm zoom is actually preferable to a 70 to 200 F2.8 or 70 mm to 200 mm F4. It sounds as if you want to buy this lens in the F2.8 version, and it would urge you to strongly do some more research and look into the merits of the F4 version. Specifically I think you should search around the Kirk Tuck blog. He has access to pretty much any gear that he wants, and he is one of the leading proponents of the smaller and lighter 70 to 200 f/4 as opposed to the much bigger and heavier and more cumbersome F/2.8 models. He has repeatedly written that at the end of the day he shoots better with the smaller and lighter lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back