What should I look for in a Monopod?

Beautifile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I'm looking to buy a monopod to go along w/ my new camera (SONY RX100) for my upcoming trip to Paris. After doing some research, it looks like I need a monopod w/ a ball head, but here's my question: How hard is it to buy a decent but inexpensive monopod and replace the top w/ a ball head? I've read several people's comments that it's super easy, but one man said you need a special tool to replace a stationary head w/ a ball head. I have a ton of credit at Amazon.com, and on that site it works out much cheaper to buy an inexpensive monopod and ball head and piece them together oneself. Would this be a very complicated undertaking? Is it even a good idea? Any advice is appreciated as I've never used a monopod before and my tripod is about 2 lbs. heavier than what I'd be willing to carry around Paris. TIA.

Most monopods that I've seen have a standard sized screw at the top... same size used to attach heads to tripods. As such, very very easy to replace. For walking trips, I often get sore near my ankles so I use a gitzo monotrek which comes with a small ball head:

Series 1 Monotrek 3 Section GM1130MT - Monotrek Monopods | Gitzo

Mine has been slightly modified for pavement use by covering the metal tip with rubber. I remove it when I head through off-pavement trails.

This is a good place to get pointers on using one:

How To Use A Monopod & Multi-Purpose Tripod

You would need something like this for attach a regular ballhead.

Amazon.com: Promaster 3/8" to 1/4" Tripod Thread Adapter (3 Pack): Camera & Photo

or you could buy this combo;

Amazon.com: Dolica WT-1003 67-Inch Lightweight Monopod: Electronics

Amazon.com: Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount: Camera & Photo (this includes an adaptor already)

or go for a monopod with a ballhead

Dolica 68" Lightweight Monopod with Ball Head ST-1100 (backordered)

If you still want that kind of monopod, you must get it as a combo. Sell or give away the tripod if you have no need for it.

Amazon.com: Dolica STC-100 65-Inch Tripod and 68-Inch Monopod Combo: Electronics

Note that this monopod is similar to Vivitar, Opteka, and Targus brands all within a five dollar price difference.

There are others out there of course. :)

PS I like the Gitzo monopod usayit linked to. But it's out of my price range. :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
But honestly, I don't think you would need a monopod with the RX100. It is fast (f1.8) has a bigger sensor in its class, has 3.6x zoom which doesn't really need image stabilization, better ISO performance and lighteight. It is a high end point and shoot nearly matching m4/3 cameras albeit with a smaller sensor. So I don't think it is a good idea at all as there is no need for a monopod. Monopods are designed primarily to diffuse the weight of the camera and lens. Stabilization comes in second. However, if you would want to take pictures with you included, get a cheap telescopic tripod or simply a smaller tripod.

Amazon.com: Targus TG-42TT 42-Inch 8-Section Travel Tripod: Electronics (collapsible but still compact and light) or

Amazon.com: Joby GP1-D1EN Gorillapod Flexible Tripod (Grey): Camera & Photo

Lastly, you can use your lightweight tripod as a monopod too.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back