What SLR/Lens for travelling/backpacking!?

jamesirwin123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

This is my first post so i hope im in the right section for the subject!

I'm off to Europe, backpacking for 4-5 months, and am needing some advice on purchasing a half decent lens and possibly smaller camera body.
I currently own a Canon 60D, and Canon 50mm 1.8 EFs 18-135mm lens'. Almost all of my experience with this camera has been videography, rather than photography, and i'll have to say its been great!

Would anyone be able to recommend me a half decent lens that would be a worthwhile investment while traveling? Assuming most of my shots will be landscapes and other typical travel type shots. It would be great if anyone would be willing to lend there experiences with different lens' while travelling, anything such as how strong the build quality is or how versatile a particular lens is in different situations would be great!

Another thing is the size of the Canon 60D body. It has particular features on it which have benefitted me in the videography area, but there seems to be a lot of smaller bodied Canon SLR's available these days with the same photography capabilities. Would it be worth selling the 60D and getting a smaller camera body for traveling as-well? If anyone could share their experiences about anything camera/travel related it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jimmy..

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Jimmy.

There really isn't a right answer here. Of course, you could get a smaller camera, but if size and weight are going to be your primary concern, then you should probably get a compact camera that will fit into your pocket, rather than a DSLR.

If image quality is your primary concern, then you might be willing to haul around a larger camera and a bigger lens (or two, or three etc.).

I tend to agree that a wider lens, in the 10-20mm range, would be great to have. It's nice to be able to capture wide vistas in your photos...but I've sometimes come home from traveling and wished that I hasn't shot so many wide shots, and wished that I had captured more close up details and people shots. So again, only you can really answer the questions at hand.

About the camera body, yes...there are other (smaller) DSLR camera bodies that would give you great image quality. But they will likely be made with more plastic and less weather sealing etc. You might be better served by looking for an older (used) higher level body. For example, any of the Canon 1 series bodies will be much more tough and robust than your 60D or anything similar.

Hi James - since you are already invested in the Canon EOS system, I would get the Canon EOS-M with the 20mm f2.0 lens plus the EOS to EOS-M adapter for AUD$569.

With this kit, you will have a camera body that is much smaller and lighter than your 60D, but with the same sized sensor and pretty close to the same still image quality - and the additional benefit of being able to use the same lenses.

It is also a pretty good B camera for videography:

[video=vimeo;55604121]http://vimeo.com/55604121[/video]

The downsides are the lack of a viewfinder and flash :( But with the 20mm f2.0 lens and your 50mm f1.8, you should be OK in most lighting situations.

Hope this is helpful and have a great trip!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back