What starter lenses to buy? (for Canon 50D)

Thaash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am buying a 50D in the next month. I am still not sure about the lense. For a starter lens I thought of the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I would prefer the USM one, but is USM really that necessary? Does it make focusing faster really?

My other question :from which European webshop could I get them (also the 50D) the cheapest with warranty of course?

Another question: Do you have any suggestion for other lenses in the same price range?

I want to use my camera for all purpose (I know I will have to buy the x-200-300 mm lenses, but that will come later)

USM is not about faster to focus. USM you can turn the focus ring manually while the AF is on. If you dont have USM, you have to turn off the AF first before you can turn the focus ring. Most of the time, the ring is sooo so small for non USM lenses.

How much money are we talking about here on the lens? I encourage getting quality used lenses instead of brand new (and not fast) lenses.

USM is not about faster to focus. USM you can turn the focus ring manually while the AF is on. If you dont have USM, you have to turn off the AF first before you can turn the focus ring. Most of the time, the ring is sooo so small for non USM lenses.

How much money are we talking about here on the lens? I encourage getting quality used lenses instead of brand new (and not fast) lenses.

The USM does allow it to focus faster and is also quieter. I might would look at the 50mm F1.8 . Between the 2 I would get the 17-85.

The USM does allow it to focus faster and is also quieter. I might would look at the 50mm F1.8 . Between the 2 I would get the 17-85.

50mm 1.8 has a very low price, but I miss the Zooming there :(

I also favour the 17-85 atm and I will buy it used, so you can imagine the budget for a lense is not so high yet, but will be able to borrow my friend's lenses. (he has a 1D III with L lenses...)

Thats for you to decide - no zoom but very sharp , or zoom and some what sharp.

Thats for you to decide - no zoom but very sharp , or zoom and some what sharp.

yes, and I made the decision to buy zoom lenses for the start, later a better zoom lens and a 50mm

USM is Ultra Sonic Motor (whatever that is ... LOL) And the main different between USM and non-USM lens is focus motor speed. And not all USM lens has FTM (Full Time Manual Focus) such as Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS.

Also the ring type USM lens is faster than the micro-USM drive type lens.

Is USM type lens necessary? It's good to have, but not necessary. However, in some situations, it is better to have a fast accurate AF. i.e. Sports photography.

For general walk around lens, my choice will be the Canon/Tamron/Sigma lens with focal length range around 17-50mm and has a constant aperture of f/2.8.

The *original* Canon 18-55, non-IS, non-USM lens is a piece of junk...I used to own one until I gave it away...it was the first lens made for the FIRST Canon Rebels,and was not sold in the orient, where they know and understand more about cameras than in many other markets...it was full of CA, and a garbage kit lens. If **that** is the 18-55 Canon lens you speak of, do NOT buy it...it is cvap.

Fast lens. I also purchased the EF-S focusing screen that aids in manual focus, but you need fast glass. The shallow focus and bokeh on the 50mm f/1.4 is great. Maybe you should purchase this and have the crap 17-55 kit lens for your walk around lens.

I have a the kit lens from my 7D for sale. It's the EF 28-135mm USM with IS. The lens is new and never used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back