what ta look fer

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Even though I just bought my Canon PowerShot S2 in June, and even though I really like it, and even though I'm totally broke, and even though I don't know nothin' 'bout any of this photography stuff, I think I may have outgrown the PowerShot. Maybe it's just that I don't know how to use it, but I really think that I need to move up with the big boys and gets me a DSLR.

As such, I was thinking I might hit the pawn shops (I live on the nice side of town, so there are pawn shops a plenty :lol: ). Since I don't know much about cameras, I was hoping that some of you nice folks might be able to give me some advice on what to look for in the camera. Also, I'm not adverse to buying a 35mm SLR if the price is right, so comments on that would be good too.

Hope this makes sense, but if not, I'll try to clarify better.

Thanks as always for your honest input.

fair enough question :)

I want better control of the focus, I wnat to have more flexibility with chagable lenses. By that I mean, I want to get into the macro photography, longer zooms (is that how you say it?). I want more control over DOF.

I freely admit (as I think I did actually :D ) that it may just be that I don't know how to use my camera very well, but the manual focus is rather difficult to control, and doesn't seem to be as versitile as a DSLR (or SLR for that matter).

Does that make sense or am I just being whiney about my camera not being a DSLR?

I think you should exhaust all the possibilities of your current camera. The whole "it's the photographer not the camera" theory comes to mind. That theory is definitely true. None the less I feel your pain. I think it took all of about 3 months for me to give up my dumb 'ol 110 (anybody remember that film format?) for my first 35mm.

A film camera will provide a low cost solution. Older 35's are a great teacher and they have limitless options. Plus they rarely break. A DSLR upgrade is an expensive but, good idea. Ease of handling and a good lens are some of the things to look for. Used gear can be tricky. Most important is make sure that it is clean. On the other hand I bought a TLR with a super scratched and dirty focusing screen. It has Zeiss glass that is in good condition and the camera functions well. Because of the screen the outfit was really cheap. Of course you will have to do a lot research.

I am also considering a new camera. I am one third of the way there money wise. WooHoo!!!

Craig,

You're right about the 35mm, but I think that in long run the digital is better since you get instant gratification, you can see immediately if the shot worked or not, and you don't have to pay for film processing.

Besides, at this point my only objective is to have fun and post stuff on my photoblog. I'm not trying to blow stuff up or make a career out of it. Does that make sense?

Oh, and I totally remember 110! I think that my first camera was a 110 (although my family had a polaroid instant camera. It was in a gray box-like thing, and you'd open the front and pull the camera out on a track, take the picture, pull the paper out and wait to see it appear before your eyes.

You know, now that I'm writing this, I may be combining two different cameras, but I don't think so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back