what to buy a nikon d300s or nikon d7000?

The main advantage of the D300s is build quality. Magnesium body, weather sealing - all things necessary for outdoor work.

AGREED!!

If your going to invest in better lenses, as in heavier lenses. And your going to be trudging outdoors with that combination. The D300s is the camera to choose. The magnesium body, and weather sealing is a big advantage over the D7000. And from what I have read at DXO, according to their measurements. The D300s is the better camera performance wise. Not everyone agrees with their methodology though. The D7000 does have magnesium alloy's in its construction, but I don't think its a full magalloy body. But I don't know the specifice. The D300s is a full magalloy body.

I went with D300 over D90 becasue of its build. DXO actually had the D90 performing better than the D300. But it was close. But I have never looked back. Currently my biggest / heaviest lens is a 300 f/2.8. Don't think I want that on a polycarb body. As its not always on the mono or tripod! I liked the D300 so much. I bought a 2nd one. Instead of using a lower or cheaper model as a back up. I think its worth it!

I have a D300S and D700. At the time I bought, i had the same doubts of you. I went to D300s because I felt more professional and match better with my D700 (batteries, acessories etc.). The build quality is better than D7000 and also the performance: 7 fps, buffer 100 pictures, and one thing I find important to my way of shooting is the bracketing of 9 photos, D7000 bracketing is only 3.

Nice reply, but please don't dig up mundane threads well over a year old. It's frowned upon in these parts. :)

Welcome to the board!
Mark

Most reactions

Back