What to buy for £1,500

Keysersose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings, I have £1,500 British Pounds to spend on my first equipment. I have been reading up for a while on what is available. I will be using the camera to photograph martial arts, from freestyle wrestling in good light to mma events, often in poor light, and for pictures of my rapidly growing children.
First question is........Nikon or Canon........After reading Ken Rockwells site I am favouring a Nikon D7000 and I could push the boundaries a bit with my budget for the right combo. Which camera/lens combination do you recommend for the type of photography I have mentioned.
Thanks in anticipation

if you dont care about video, i go with a classic canon 5D.

Get the one with the better low light capabilities.

24-70mm f/2.8L + flash.

any more suggestions.....Are there only 2 members on this site who would have any idea how to spend 1.5k

24-70mm f/2.8L + flash.

I agree with this. I think your best bet would be to get a camera body (no lens) and get this one instead. This lens will allow more light in than whatever kit lens you will find due to the lower achievable aperture (f/2.8). This lens however is a bit expensive, you could get a version of it made by Sigma or Tamron as they will be cheaper than Canon or Nikon at a slight drop in image quality.

Thank you to all who posted answers. Much appreciated. I have read a few reviews which rate the D7000 above the 5D. Would I go wrong in getting either of these above the other one. I really am fancying a Nikon for no particular reason i can put my finger on..

£1500 is not really enough money, the lens alone capable of shooting these sports will cost you £1000+, also what looks good light to the eye will not be good light
To capture this shot i used 1Dmk2, 70-200F4L, 1 no studio flash bounced off ceiling and radio triggers
792737034_uLhPr-L.jpg

If you were putting together a body and lens for the job gsgary, which would you choose.

If you were putting together a body and lens for the job gsgary, which would you choose.

If i told you you would not have change out of £6500
if you had £2000 what lens and camera would you use I was going to go for the D7000 with a Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8 D ED would this be an adequate set up for a beginner

Most reactions

Back