What to buy next ??

FranDaMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sooooo.....

Got a 430EXII flash recently and a 5 in 1 reflector/diffuser.
For my Birthday my wife's parents are getting me a set of Cactus V5 triggers !!

I will have a bit of money to spend, so what would be a nice idea ?
I was thinking a stand for the flash with an umbrella and/or softbox.

Good idea ? or any other suggestions ?

Softboxes cost more (unless you buy junk) than umbrellas. You would also need an umbrella bracket with a cold shoe. Not all softboxes can be used with a hot shoe flash.

The next consideration would be: What size softbox or umbrella to get. The bigger the light modifier, the softer the light and more 'wrap' shadows will have.

Basically I would like something that I can use outside for portraits shoots.

So I am looking at a falcon eyes light stand (82-236 cm height)
l_Falcon%20Eyes%20Lampstatief%20W804%2086-205%20cm.jpg

and a lumopro clamp/umbrella holder
xl_LUM5125.jpg

And with that a decent umbrella then....size...hmmm suggestions Keith ?

That lightstand is the minimum height I would recommend, 300 cm would be better.

You will also need to put weight the stand legs to keep even a slight wind from blowing it over with an umbrella or softbox on it. I use inexpensive ankle weights.

It is better to have an umbrella that is to big than one that is to small. Actually would should have a variey of sizes. I would not use smaller than 110 cm for 1-2 people head to waist shots and up to 150 cm for more people and/or full length shots..

There is a light modifier type that is kind of part umbrella and part softbox: Photek Umbrella - Softlighter II - 46" SL-5000 B&H Photo

Wow....300 cm. Will you really have the flash that hight up for a portrait shoot ?
That stand is almost double the price.

I like that Photek umbrella, but I dont think they sell that one here in our neck of the woods

Most reactions

Back