What to do when the sun is in the viewing frame?

pcdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to be taking 360 degree panoramas by stitching together 14 individual photos.

Here's the problem: many of the photos will be taken in the early morning when the sun will be on the horizon. If I can't find a place to hide from direct sun exposure, does anyone have any tips on how to take photos with the sun in the field of view? One complicating factor is that the picture with the sun in it will have to have some exposure level that can match the surrounding photos without direct sun exposure.

I hope someone more experienced will be able to find a solution, but afaik you will have either the outlines of the horizon with the sun properly exposed or a white spot where the sun should be and the horizon properly exposed.
If we are talking BW, perhaps u can do as matt said in another post and expose for the horizon then closing two stops and under develop the neg.That is good for a 6-7 diff in stops between the light area and the dark area.
Or, you could make a multiple exposure, first exposing the sun, and then waiting for the sun to move out of the scene and then esxposing the horizon.Lighting will be different though, perhaps it wont fit with the other pics.

Try to take the images on either side of the sun as close as possible without including the sun. Then bracket like crazy for the image with the sun. Hopefully you will only have to use the strip of image containing the sun, and you will have one that works.

I'd have to agree with Matt. Bracket around the reading you get with the sun just out of the frame. I'd say bracket +/- 3 stops in 1/2 to 1 stop increments.

If you meter with the sun in the frame, you're gonna get a silhouette.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back