Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings,

Long story, short.

I'm pretty well set up with continuous CF lights for product shots and needed to satisfy my curiousity about strobes :)

I thought I would start out with a relatively inexpensive 2 x 200 w/s kit off ebay but before it arrived I lost my mind and ordered a Alien Bees B1600.

In order to explore one light work I decided to make a large reflector out of parts I had in stock.... an old Velbon tripod with ball head, a 4' x 4' sheet of 3/16" plastic hollow core panel, some light angle iron and counterweights from fence parts from a commercial table saw.

This is the result...

Reflectorfull.jpg

It ain't pretty but it's sturdy :lmao:

I doubt the hollow plastic panel will be very "reflective" so I plan on spray painting it.

Anyone have thoughts on that ie. flat latex, shiny oil base, white, gray, etc. ?

Cheers, Don

Do you want it very reflective or softer? For reflectiveitiy use a high gloss or reflective silver paint. Ask for a custom mix to reach 255,255,255. Then it will also double as grey point, and wont affect flash settings. For softer use an eggshell coat of an ivory paint, with a warmer color, to give a beautiful look to portraits.

Alex has great suggestions about the color, I just wanted to add something about the material. Either spray with a primer designed for plastics or use paint designed for plastics.

While I admire your creative use of a tripod, I'm thinking you might move this around a bit and would hate to see this scratched.

-Nick

Thanks. But why not use a light stand?

Thanks. But why not use a light stand?

Why use a light stand? I don't mean to answer for Don, but if you have the ability, time, and equipment to duplicate something else, why not? All told, what's this going to cost him? I'll bet a whole lot less then the same setup from a local camera shop.

-Nick

Why use a light stand? I don't mean to answer for Don, but if you have the ability, time, and equipment to duplicate something else, why not? All told, what's this going to cost him? I'll bet a whole lot less then the same setup from a local camera shop.

-Nick

Quite right.

Although a light stand has a wider range of height adjustments, that's really not an issue with something this large. My thinking is the tripod has a larger footprint, is more stable and the arm will allow me to tilt the face to a forty five degree angle.

Cost was $0, all parts are recycleable and if it is as handy as I expect I may invest in a more elegant solution, ie. a boom arm for an existing light stand :)

As I said, I wish to explore the effects of "one light" plus reflector(s) and actually See the differences between a brolly, shoot through umbrella, reflective umbrella and 2' x 3' softbox.

Then I can introduce the smaller 200 w/s strobes as fill, back and/or top light and see if they will be good for anything other than small product shots.

I'll have to think about using gray paint and in effect using it as a gray "card"....

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

Back