what to get next

MarkXS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay so i have 100 dollars to spend on photo equipment. i have a canon eos so ican get a 50mm prime f/1.8 or a flash. what should i get?

It would help us to give you advice if you could explain a little about your photography, what sort of subjects or situations you find yourself in, what sort of equipment you already have (e.g. current lenses) and where you think you are being limited in what you are trying to do. At the moment we don't have too much to go on.

there have been 2 threads in the last week with the same question.
try using the search functionality and look for similar topics

sorry, right now i have the kit 18-55f/3.5-5 and a 70-300f/4-5.6 and i shoot pretty muich everything. i dont have a flash i just have the pop up on the camera.

OK, well you've given us part of an answer, but back to my questions earlier "where do you think your photography is limited?". Any piece of equipment is the solution to a particular problem, so unless we understand the problem, it's going to be difficult to provide an answer.

If you're not sure what the problem is photographically, then I'd hazard a guess that you just have money burning a hole in your pocket.

At a more pragmatic level, I'd look at your options thus:

1. Your existing lenses already cover the 50mm range, so with just $100 to play with, I'd say that lens is a luxury, unless you really want to take low light photographs using natural lighting, in which case why consider a flash?

2. At the $100 price point, any flash is going to have a limited set of features unless you wish to go into the used market. On the other hand, it will be more flexible than the pop-up and can be used off-camera, but what subjects are you photographing that require this? It would be of little value for low light landscape work for example.

3. Would the money be better spent on a tripod (you don't mention one)? If you're only photographing relatively static subject, it gets you rond the low light problem, as you can use longer shutter speeds.

4. Lastly, would the money be better spent perhaps on a class to teach you how to use what you have more effectively?

As you can, see there are plenty of options here, but it does depend on understanding what you want to get out of the purchase, rather than spending because you can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back