What to look for in a Monopod/Tripod?

memento

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking into getting a monopod, or should I be looking into a tripod?
I was thinking a monopod would be easier to lug around.
Is one more practical than the other?

Naturally there's six million different ones to choose from.
What should I be looking for in either?

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Please define the reason you would chose one over the other. Both have their purposes, but the use can only be decided by what your particular activity is.

As a general rule, most people will typically choose a tripod first.

There has been a recent thread concerning monopods. Have a search for that and it may help in your decision making.

as said, it really depends on the purpose.

for long exposures, make it heavy and sturdy. the tripod head is quite important as well here, often the head is almost about the same price as the tripod if it has to hold heavy lenses.

if you travel a lot... make it a light tripod (wood is not an option then). so here you see, it is all about compromise.

if it is mainly to support a heavy lens in action shots/sports, then a monopod is a good thing. sometimes also if you photograph wildlife on the move.

I have $20 tripod that I started out with a few years ago and a super dooper carbon fiber monopod received as a gift last year (because I asked for it) and I never use the monopod.
If I'm gonna have to lug something about it might as well be the tripod. I can keep the legs togethed and use it as a monopod too if I don't need to setup completely.

I'm getting the super dooper carbon fibre tripod this year :)

Really you need to use what fits your needs/budget the best. If you had a use for a monopod you would know this discussion was gone over recently. One of the main reasons for a monopod as opposed to a tripod is if you are using a very large lens like something a sports photographer would use but are using relatively fast shutter speeds also you need alot of mobility. That combination would scream for a monopod just for support so you do not have to carry the weight of a large lens around while giving you some stabilitiy while shooting. As far as tripod brand/price buy th best thing you can possibly afford that will fit your needs as far as size/weight.

You can go to K-mart or Walmart and ask for a rifle support. It is fiberglass, extensible and has a price of $9.95 vs $20-40 for a monopod. In either case, it is a good idea to slap a ball head on one for best effect.

Use a tripod all the time, unless you are going in a place that forbids them like museums and sports events or are lugging it into the woods or something. Even then, a tripod will guarantee better results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back