What to upgrade to, from Canon 50D

MrMbss1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, so I've been thinking of getting another camera to have as my main camera, and then I'm considering switching the internal filter in my 50D so I could get it working some astrophotography.
We've got some fields and a couple of hills free of any obstacles just around my house, and I live outside a small city with little to no light pollution at night.
I have huge natural interest in astronomy.

But I do have a couple of questions:
- What camera(s) should I consider upgrading to? Mid budget, can't afford a 5Diii i.e.
- I've heard that switching/removing the internal filter is pretty expensive, which leads me to think it's not something you wanna try to do yourself... But is it doable?
- What necessary accessories would I need for astrophotography other than a sturdy tripod?
- What lenses are recommended for astrophotography? I currently own:
EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 is
EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
I'm preferably gonna buy something used, but could also get something at black friday/cyber monday if I have to

Last edited:
I wouldn't remove a filter myself.

I had a 50d and every other dslr I used from Canon was better than it image quality wise.

You want a camera that does long exp with minimal noise. The Canon 6d is even better than the 5d3 for this purpose. You should be able to get a good second hand or refurbished one for not crazy money. Not sure the best lens but a tokina 16-28f2.8 springs to mind

The idea was to upgrade to something else, better, than the 50D and then removing the filter from the 50D to use for astrophotography. I'd rather have a better main camera and a slightly worse astrocamera with no filter, than a better astrocamera with no filter and a slightly worse main camera.
The lens you recommended is a tad too expensive for my budget.. What do I look for in a lens for astrophotography? Low light performance?

Also, is there any way of taking astrophotography without removing the internal filter?

Reported ^^ (2nd reply)

Well if your using the 50d for Castro probably your best option is a tokina 11-16 or 11-20 f2.8. Others might recommend something better

Generally astro lenses are wide and leave in lots of light

Alright, that's the castro camera side of things sorted.

But what do I upgrade my main camera to?

Astrology is a pseudo-science.
Astronomy is what astrophotography is all about.

What necessary accessories would you would need for astrophotography depends on what objects you want to photograph.
For the fainter objects you would need a mount that counter acts Earth's rotation on it's axis.
I use an iOptron SkyTracker

Many astrophotographers have their DSLR cameras modified, mainly so they can better record the red end of the visible spectrum.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oops, sorry for that. Fixed.
I'm thinking more basic accessory, I feel like that is more higher end than what I'm going for at the moment. I'm no expert though.

Most reactions

Back