What type of filter is being used?

psreilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i'm asking a lot here, but can someone explain what photographer David Bellemere uses as his filter? I've been trying to figure this out for quite a while. At first I thought maybe, vaseline on a cheap filter, maybe even plastic over the lens. None of those seemed right when I tested them out though

I have a video here and at :37 and :53 seconds you'll see him holding what almost looks like glass. Also at the end of the video at 1:08 it looks like one his lenses has something smeared all over it, maybe vaseline?. I know i'm treating this like the Zapruder film, but i've been searching for answers to his methods for awhile

I'll attach a link to the photo he got from that shoot along with the video itself on youtube. Any idea on what it could be, or is it maybe just a shard of glass after all? Thanks for the help in advance

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WoUIbJBZt...+Pouliot+Vogue+Thailand+February+2013-002.PNG

Last edited:
One of the cameras looked like a film canon so it could be Portra 160/400 film

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Can you provide links to specific photographs that you are trying to emulate the look of?

I'm sure the pros can break down specific techniques.

One of the cameras looked like a film canon so it could be Portra 160/400 film

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The images are definitely soft like film, but I can't tell if it is film or not. He's for sure holding something up those lenses though. I just can't figure out what it is exactly

It's called a 'mirror'. :1247:

Mirror.jpg

Basically, he's shooting through two layers of glass. The light is coming from the subject, through the glass, strikes the silvering on the back and is reflected back out through the glass. And since it's all at an angle, the light must pass through more glass material than it would if it passed through perpendicular to the glass.

Yes, there is such a thing as front-surface mirrors, but I doubt such a high-$ piece of technology would have such fancy-cut edges on it.

It's called a 'mirror'. :1247:

Mirror.jpg

Basically, he's shooting through two layers of glass. The light is coming from the subject, through the glass, strikes the silvering on the back and is reflected back out through the glass. And since it's all at an angle, the light must pass through more glass material than it would if it passed through perpendicular to the glass.

Yes, there is such a thing as front-surface mirrors, but I doubt such a high-$ piece of technology would have such fancy-cut edges on it.

Wow, you even provide the frame for reference while reading haha. I guess that just seemed to simple given how good of a photographer he is, IMO. I'll give it a go for myself now. Thank you!

Wow, you even provide the frame for reference while reading haha. I guess that just seemed to simple given how good of a photographer he is, IMO. I'll give it a go for myself now. Thank you!

Just goes to show you one doesn't need to spend every month's rent money buying expensive gear to attain the desired results. A 1$ mirror from the Dollar Store.... whooda thunk it?

A very famous (Doug) wedding photographer lectured about using a similar technique using a cd/dvd for added effect.I haven't tried it... yet

Wow. I actually know the answer to this!
Often he uses a 6 or 8 inch chrystal pyramid prism. Sometimes he will shoot through his fingers too.
As far as I know...he does not shoot film and shoots on a Canon. Hes known for submitting high volumes of images. I can't see that being done with film....not in a practical sense anyway.

Most reactions

Back