What would be really cool

bennielou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back in the olden days, this photo section did not exist. A lot of them didn't exist. It was the wild west out here. No one knew who was a rookie or a pro. We just all posted it up, and got our come up-upance. We learned a lot.

And it really doesn't matter if we are pro or rookies,IMO. Can you take a well lit sellable shot? Good enough for me.

What's your point?

i think he wants more photos from rookies and pros alike..

This place get's better and better, everyday. One thread at a time. :meh:

So...what you're saying is that we photography and TPF newbs should be kissing you pros' asses for having this section?

Give me a break.

OP, do you schedule yourself a weekly visit to this section to post about how great you and the pros are (notice the emphasis on "you")? Since joining this site, I see you start a thread like this once a week like clockwork.

From one semi-newb to a pro and speaking for myself and anyone else who feels the same, I appreciate the feedback and C&C from the pros, but what I do not appreciate is a pro who is boastful, likes to ride their high horse, or who suffers from a severe and chronic case of elitism.

Please excuse me while I put the Cajun back in its cage.

Back in the olden days, this photo section did not exist. A lot of them didn't exist. It was the wild west out here. No one knew who was a rookie or a pro. We just all posted it up, and got our come up-upance. We learned a lot.

And it really doesn't matter if we are pro or rookies,IMO. Can you take a well lit sellable shot? Good enough for me.

I do not understand why this thread is in the Photography Beginners' Forum & Photo Gallery section; I mean, why would Photography Beginners be interested in producing photographs that sell? And what is this about learning photography via forums and the web? I learned photography before there was a world wide web, from books and magazines and actual mentors,friends, and practice. So, I do not get this idea that "posting" of photos is even key to learning at all. Maybe you could elaborate on what the purpose of this thread is, since it seems like an exercise in credentialism rather than helping beginners learn about photography.

As far as learning about photography goes, I think a two week library loan and studious reading and studying of any one of a dozen John Hedgecoe's books on photography would do most beginning photographers more good than a whole year's worth of internet forum membership. I think the digital age has brought in more and more emphasis on post-processing and quickie software effects and less and less emphasis on the underlying technical basis of photography; the best books on pure photography were written well before "digital" came along.

I think we can all learn from people of all skill levels. I know some professional photographers whose work is below the standard that many serious amateurs hold themselves to. The world "professional" in front of the word "photographer" does not impress me in the least these days. This last paragraph is not directed at the OP or any person on this forum: I see pro photogs all over the USA with web sites that have lots of crappy photography...the barriers to entry to the field are very low these days, and many people call themselves "pro photographers" now.

If I read it right I belive the OP is suggesting that things were "better" when there was no designated beginners section on the site and that instead beginners and experienced pros used the galleries and other parts of the site as well as general areas together.

I belive the idea is that without a beginners area there is more chance that some beginners work might get noticed by more of the experienced shooters who might purposfully avoid the beginners area. In a general forum this can work very well but I think TPF has far too many beginners and not enough middle to later ground photographers to weather such a change well. One group would inevitably drown out the other with volume of threads and I think it would lead to a lot of conflicts where photographers who consider themselves above beginner complain about lots of beginner threads (heck we have that now and beginners have a designated area).

i'm assuming that she is meaning that rather than being judged within the parameters of "pro" or "beginner" that each photo should be judged individually and critiqued on its own rather than "good for a beginner" or "good for a pro"... that was what i got out of it anyway. i'm not sure i totally agree. i'm with the people who say that it doesn't do any good to pat people on the back when the pictures are clearly no good (like, hey you're new to this so i'll say it looks good even though everything is out of focus and the exposure is wrong etc...) but i think it helps to have some context. maybe what we really need is a forum for "tactful" c&c and one for no holds barred straight-up c&c. ;)

We won't get a C&C section period - not unless things make a radical change here - in the past attempts were made and they all ended with fire!
Not everyone is good at reciving C&C even though they want it
and
Not everyone is good at giving C&C even though they want to give it.

Thank you Overread,for your interpretation of bennielou's post. What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I personally believe that this site is broken down into too many individual sections. I read and browse the site mostly via clicking on the Active Topics or New Posts headers, and read the site mostly without using the sub-sections. I think there are too many sub-sections, and too much "compartmentalization" of the site.

I do tend to agree and I do surf the site in the same way (which means I never actually know where anything is ;)) however when I read through most of the sections are very valid and with the large numbers we have here I think things need breaking up otherwise peoples posts would never get a moment to be seen before more threads would snow them under.
I think what we do need is some way of easing the beginners out of the beginner section - I've always thought reverting back to allowing images in the beginners section would promote the galleries and the use of them a lot more.

I would rather receive my cc as a noob than try and post in a pro section. I'm a noob... I shoot like a noob... i should receive cc as a noob. If we all posted in an open section then we noobs might not get the same cc (helpful) as we do here.

Most reactions

Back