What would you buy for newborn boy shoot?

It seems to me that all the sarcasm and berating comments aren't necessary. The OP is asking questions about an idea she has and all she really needs is to know what she's missing to do this. She's most likely not aware that taking photographs in the setting she describes is more than just posing the subject and pressing the shutter. You guys that have been through all the wars know what it takes to get started and her question is an invitation to share that experience, not be belittled. If someone asks a naive question as the OP's may be, simply making them aware of what they're not considering should be enough. If the OP's response to that advice is a negative one, then go to town on them, but not until then.

Every established professional on this forum was at some point a beginner with big ideas and somehow were helped along with their maturation as a professional photographer. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the term "wannabe", but weren't all you established, experienced guys "wannabes" at some point?

I think that all these negative responses only serve to discourage beginners and makes you guys seem mean and bitter.

Just my 2 cents.

Danny

It seems to me that all the sarcasm and berating comments aren't necessary. The OP is asking questions about an idea she has and all she really needs is to know what she's missing to do this. She's most likely not aware that taking photographs in the setting she describes is more than just posing the subject and pressing the shutter. You guys that have been through all the wars know what it takes to get started and her question is an invitation to share that experience, not be belittled. If someone asks a naive question as the OP's may be, simply making them aware of what they're not considering should be enough. If the OP's response to that advice is a negative one, then go to town on them, but not until then.

Every established professional on this forum was at some point a beginner with big ideas and somehow were helped along with their maturation as a professional photographer. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the term "wannabe", but weren't all you established, experienced guys "wannabes" at some point?

I think that all these negative responses only serve to discourage beginners and makes you guys seem mean and bitter.

Just my 2 cents.

Danny

I think the point is that many of us who were or are PRO.. learned to use our cameras, and get decent images.. BEFORE we decided to turn PRO!

Unlike the vast majority of "Wannabe's" who think having what they consider a fancy camera (usually a low end entry level body with kit lenses that have slow apertures, slow and imprecise focusing, and less than stellar IQ)! They get the camera.. and next thing they seem to do is start charging.. even if they are shooting on AUTO or PROGRAM! And most of them are "natural light" photographers.. because they don't have a clue about using a flash.. or usually even reflectors. They lack even the most basic knowledge about how to work with light.. but they are still "PROS" right?

If someone is charging for photos.. by definition.. they are a PROFESSIONAL!

SO why are all of these "PROFESSIONALS" asking really stupid, basic beginner questions?

And how are we obligated in any way to help them?

Best Buy. They walk in normal people, they see Canon Rebel's on display. A tungsten bulb suddenly illuminates in their minds. They buy the one with the most megapixels that they can afford, and while they're waiting in line to check out they're using their iPhone to set up their "Professional Photography" facebook page.

EPIC
bigthumb.gif

I didn't JUST start I've been doing photography for years using bounce flash and natural light......
Oh, you're not a beginner photographer.

People tend to make that assumption when you post in the Beginner's Forum section.

I, for one, didn't make the assumption because the OP posted in the Beginner's Forum. I "assumed" it because they started with the words, "I'm a beginner, and..."

I didn't JUST start I've been doing photography for years using bounce flash and natural light......
Oh, you're not a beginner photographer.

People tend to make that assumption when you post in the Beginner's Forum section.

I, for one, didn't make the assumption because the OP posted in the Beginner's Forum. I "assumed" it because they started with the words, "I'm a beginner, and..."

I like the way you think! lol!

While I'm certain the OP will do these shoots because they WANT to, I'm chiming in with the "harsh, sarcastic" crowd. This is what I would call a Bad. Idea. A REALLY Bad Idea.

Yes, everyone has to start somewhere. But: For the love of all that is good in this world, DON'T START WITH BABIES! This is a disaster waiting to happen.

The very first thing you said was, if I recall: "I am a beginner..." You later seem to renege on that and say you've been doing photography for years.

How many portrait sessions have you done prior to this? If your answer is anything over "1" I'd be surprised. So...DON'T start with babies. At least not with babies who are not being held by their mother, or maybe laying safely in their cribs, or the middle of a king-size bed with Mama nearby keeping an eye on things. And posing the baby and the 1 year old together, when you have no experience??? Wow. Just. Wow. NOT a good plan.

Do a few sessions with adults first, then with one kid at a time. Doing a shoot with a baby and a one-year-old as a "beginner" strikes me as being like diving into the creek head first without ever checking to see how deep the water is...just a BAD idea.

if you have been doing photography for YEARS bouncing aflash and you cant figured out by yourself how to work with studio strobes, that means you didn't bounce that flash long enough.

Just want to say is not that what forums are for, "TO HELP" not to act out like fools. She said its for a friend, maybe she should not charge but if its for a friend that is the best way to get practice on that subject.

practicing on adults and children is not the same as babies. Yes they are all human but just the same as adults are not the same as kids. With adults they can pose for a long time kids can not and have to be chased around. babies stay still and will allow you to pose them if they are sleeping. But how does one practice shooting babies without practicing on babies?

It does not matter if she is a beginner, intermediate , advanced, prosumer or pro when some one ask for help on a forum one would expect for people to offer help or just move on if they are so high and mighty. IF you can take the time to post a bash of ignorant english than you have the time to offer some help or suggestions.

I am one for doing all my research and I am self taught does not mean I taught myself everything there is to know and if I learn the proper way of doing things either. When I need some hlep that I can not figure out I will turn to forums specifically for this.

I can not believe that this thread has 3 pages of bashing on a simple question that post #2 started and could have just offered some "PRO" advice and knowledge. That would gain more respect from me than anything. But I am sure they do not care what I think as I am a little shrimp in the huge ocean of swimming sharks.

OP good luck and do this for your friends, If they can not afford a professional than help them capture their special moments as parents!!!

I use to take birthing photos at the hospital of family's and friends after the birth of the baby and I would also shoot some video and then provide a short 5-10 min movie for them to have as keep sakes. Keep in mind I did this for free as it was friends and family but I got the idea from doing memorial videos which I use to charge for and thought it would be cool to do it at the beginning of life as well.

Go ahead TPF pros, slam away :greenpbl:

practicing on adults and children is not the same as babies. Yes they are all human but just the same as adults are not the same as kids. With adults they can pose for a long time kids can not and have to be chased around. babies stay still and will allow you to pose them if they are sleeping. But how does one practice shooting babies without practicing on babies?

You are correct, photo shoots with babies is not the same thing as a photo shoot with an adult, but that's kinda my point. Doing surgery on a cadaver is different from doing it on a real, live human being--still, I'd kinda like to know that my surgeon practiced on something easy and harmless before he starts cutting on ME.

It's much easier to LEARN with an adult, someone who will patiently wait while you figure out your lighting and such. Babies are just such a challenge that I'd think you'd want to have more experience with doing portrait photography in general before you start trying to POSE babies.

I did mention doing baby photos if the baby was being held by mama/papa/other responsible adult, or if the baby is in its crib or somewhere else really safe. It's just that it sounds, to me, like the OP has in mind all the cutesy, propped-in-a-basket kind of poses for baby and one-year-old sibling, and that just seems like a really advanced place to try to jump in and start from.

SO why are all of these "PROFESSIONALS" asking really stupid, basic beginner questions?

And how are we obligated in any way to help them?

I agree with everything you're saying. Absolutely. I'm just questioning the manner in which that opinion or advice is given. Even if a question is deemed "stupid", a better answer than a sarcastic response is to just point out what's wrong with a particular line of thinking and debate it from there. And of course, no one on these forums is obligated to help anyone with anything, but as the old saying goes "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". If it's so frustrating to see these questions, then ignore them and move on to the next post.

Danny

cgipson1 said:
If someone is charging for photos.. by definition.. they are a PROFESSIONAL!
?

According to my accountant:
You are not considered a pro until u earn over HALF of your total income with your photography! So by definition.... A lot of the people who claim to be pros... Can live on practically nothing! :) lol..... Or maybe they aren't really pros.... ;)
But pro or not cant we be nice and help people out? By sharing and helping others improve we are helping the industry and bringing up the standards.
Being a pro doesn't mean tearing apart everyone who asks for help! A true pro is comfortable enough with their own skill set to not be defensive or rude to the beginners.

Last edited:
First off I would like to state that I live in Canada (laws are different, but similar), I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV.

That being said, I would suggest you honestly look into Commercial Liability Insurance as well as setting up a proper business w/ Tax ID's and everything else that is required. This simple and inexpensive step could save you a lifetime of grief if something should happen.

For the shoot, assuming you know how to use your lighting, safety of the children must be paramount. As mentioned several times above, google and the web are your friends for poses and supports. Remember to KISS (keep it simple stupid), and that a lot of poses are composites that you see, and more than likely above your skill set if you are just starting out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back