What would you do?

I would make the sale.

if you are not alredy a photojournalist, this could be your foot inthe door.

What is done is done, you can not undo it with morals. Like everyone else said it is situational, but you have to use your own judgement, not that of the back seat drivers.

... but you have to use your own judgement, not that of the back seat drivers.

aahhhh ... interesting point ... but you don't have to use your own judgment ... which ... as the OP is still in high school, that judgment may not be as sophisticated or experience in these matters to make a proper judgment of what is exploitation and what is deemed an appropriate and news worthy image.

But here's the rub ...

If you go to a magazine or newspaper ... their staff of professionals will make the call if your images are newsworthy and are of publishable quality and context, not you. And I am sure they will be happy to chat with you on why they made that call ... and critique your images if you ask.

Gary

aahhhh ... interesting point ... but you don't have to use your own judgment ... which ... as the OP is still in high school, that judgment may not be as sophisticated or experience in these matters to make a proper judgment of what is exploitation and what is deemed an appropriate and news worthy image.

But here's the rub ...

If you go to a magazine or newspaper ... their staff of professionals will make the call if your images are newsworthy and are of publishable quality and context, not you. And I am sure they will be happy to chat with you on why they made that call ... and critique your images if you ask.

Gary

I understand that, quite well actually. A big part of why I said it is the fact that something that is publishable should not be nocked out of ones hands by some one who technically knows even less than the one who has the picture. Even if the photographers judgement is not properly refined, they will get that refining by some one more qualified to make that call.

I prolly should have said something like that but I tend to leave things shorter than planned, tis a bad habit of mine.

Thanks for the catch.

Gary, what's your take on this in relation to the above?

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0903-SEP_FALLINGMAN

Man ... thanks a lot ... that is a very tough call. As a stand alone image representing 9/11 that photo does not tell the story. It only tells one story ... of a man who resigned and accepted death as opposed to others who were forced off the building fighting for life all the way down (one interpretation).

With hindsight ... I would not have run the image on day one ... nor would I run the image with only a caption line ... although it is so extremely strong and gripping both visually and emotionally and I would be kicking myself for not doing so ... knowing that my competition would have that one the front page ... above the fold.

Actually, as in the lower portion of the article ... I would try to develop a side bar story of who was this man and why is his acceptance of death so different from the others. To me that is the story which stems from the image of the Falling Man. Why is he different.

The owner of the paper would probably have my head for allowing the competition to scoop me with the strong image ... as circulation and ad dollars would flow to the competition ... but that is who I am ... or at best what I try to be ... ethics over money.

Gary

Man ... thanks a lot ... that is a very tough call. As a stand alone image representing 9/11 that photo does not tell the story. It only tells one story ... of a man who resigned and accepted death as opposed to others who were forced off the building fighting for life all the way down (one interpretation).

With hindsight ... I would not have run the image on day one ... nor would I run the image with only a caption line ... although it is so extremely strong and gripping both visually and emotionally and I would be kicking myself for not doing so ... knowing that my competition would have that one the front page ... above the fold.

Actually, as in the lower portion of the article ... I would try to develop a side bar story of who was this man and why is his acceptance of death so different from the others. To me that is the story which stems from the image of the Falling Man. Why is he different.

The owner of the paper would probably have my head for allowing the competition to scoop me with the strong image ... as circulation and ad dollars would flow to the competition ... but that is who I am ... or at best what I try to be ... ethics over money.

Gary

Thanks for looking at that and your thoughts- I thought it was exploitive, intrusive and graphic. Watching the 'special', I saw, I had spent an hour being condescending and not looking away. How strange.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back