What would you do?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so. Sigma 24-70mm..∅82mm. All other pro glass I own or will..∅77mm. I need a CPOL. Lenses will go on a D800. I need no extra vignetting.

Option 1: ∅82mm CPOL with step down ring for all other glass
Option 2: ∅77mm CPOL with step down ring for my 24-70. (leading to vignetting on the 24-70?)
(not sure if I have the up/downs right or not..but I'm sure you understand).

What would you do? Why?
Mark

Option 3: ∅82 mm and ∅77 CPls.

I would buy two filters.. one for the 82mm objective.. and one for the 77mm objectives. That way you can still use lens hoods if needed (which come in handy sometimes if you are shooting a scene needing a CPL filter).

Doing it right ain't cheap!

That, or sell the Sigma... and get the Nikon in the same range.... then you don't have to deal with strange objective size.... ;)

I'd probably also go for 2 filters. Right now I have a 77mm Pol, with step downs for 72, 67, and 58, and it's a pain. It works, but it would be awesome to just have multiple filters. I'm sticking with step downs for now though because I also have 77mm ND's...

I agree with buying two Cpols, but how do you use a Cpol and hood at the same time?

I agree with buying two Cpols, but how do you use a Cpol and hood at the same time?

It can be done but it's a pain in the ass. Usually I just take the hood off to adjust the CPL then replace the hood.

OP: I am giving my vote to buying the 77mm filter and step-up ring. It sounds like you need the 77mm size either way, so if you try the 77mm filter on your 82mm sigma and it does result in vignetting then either buy another filter or get another lens :/

Option 3: ∅82 mm and ∅77 CPls.

WHAT HE SAID!!! I hate messing with step rings. The only rings I like are onion rings! Oh, and the rings of foam around the inside my beer glass from each chug of beer...

OEM hoods (at least Nikon ones) are bayonet-mount and are independent of the threads.

Most reactions

Back