What would you use?

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really enjoy macro close ups of people/features. I love the close -ups of childrens face that fill the frame and of moments between people that are caught REALLY up close. I feel they are so dramatic and they appeal to me. I have 55-300 mm zoom lens (f-4.-5.6) and a 50mm 1.8. lens. If I get too close to the subject that it will be out of focus with my 50mm and distorted no? I could use my telephoto and get close but then I'm prob also going to have to do some cropping and the edges of the frame would be blurred. I'm thinking a wide angle lens. Is that correct? However, I know with a wide angle, you have to watch for distortion.

I could use it but, I have seen so many beautiful shots taken with wide angle that I'm curious if that would potentially work better....

I know they are typically for landscape etc., but I have recently seen some gorgeous photos of people, close up, that were extraudinary! I'm curious to see if anyone else feels the same.

I'm looking for the entire frame to be sharp. Macro would work, but would a wide angle, if composed right, be warranted as well?

Go with a 100-150mm macro.

I would shoot such close-ups with the telephoto zoom lens that you already own. Using a wide-angle lens from very,very close distances will yield a horribly ugly effect, filled with distorted facial features.

Why not just use the 55-300 that you have now. I use my 70-200 and get so close I can't even fit a persons head in the frame. no cropping nessicary. Not only that. you can be far enough back that the subject isn't getting weirded out about you being up in there face.

I agree, the last thing you want is a UWA or even a lens in 20's. The distortion will be silly. I'd also recommend using your 55-300. Some people might object but I always thought the best portraits are done from about 85mm to 130ish. (On crop body you'd get different focal length)

Technically 200mm can still render great results and if you want a very close shot, I'd say your 300mm is definitely the way to go.

But please stay away from wide angle lens. They're horrid for portraiture.

Close up photo does not mean close to the subject photo. You can fill the frame with the person's face with most of the lenses out there. To avoid distortion, a telephoto lens is preferred.

Try it with 70 to 100mm and shoot it with f/8 and frame the subject with his/her face.

+1. Use a long focal length and zoom in.

People get uncomfortable when their 'personal space' gets invaded by a camera being up close, and it shows in their faces as tension. Even a 50 mm lens can be to short a focal length, making many subjects uncomfortable, which is why so many pro portraits are made using 85 mm or longer.

I really enjoy macro close ups of people/features. I love the close -ups of childrens face that fill the frame and of moments between people that are caught REALLY up close. I feel they are so dramatic and they appeal to me. I have 55-300 mm zoom lens (f-4.-5.6) and a 50mm 1.8. lens. If I get too close to the subject that it will be out of focus with my 50mm and distorted no? I could use my telephoto and get close but then I'm prob also going to have to do some cropping and the edges of the frame would be blurred. I'm thinking a wide angle lens. Is that correct? However, I know with a wide angle, you have to watch for distortion.
I want to know how you're going to do a macro of a person's face without using an 8x10 large-format camera.

No on the wide angle. The focusing distance would leave you to far away to get the close up action you want. Use the zoom you have already.

I want to know how you're going to do a macro of a person's face without using an 8x10 large-format camera.

I dont think she really meant macro but rather an extreme close up.

I dont think she really meant macro but rather an extreme close up.

Agreed.

I would shoot such close-ups with the telephoto zoom lens that you already own. Using a wide-angle lens from very,very close distances will yield a horribly ugly effect, filled with distorted facial features.

Take out the zoom part and I agree with this 100%. Why a zoom which will cost more, will be much heavier and, most probably, will be slower? I won't mention quality since they are getting pretty close but you still get 3 negatives against it. A prime will do the job much better in most respect and this is cetainly NOT a case where you can't zoom with your feet...

Back to the OP: It seems to me you need to study the very basics of photography before you even think about buying another lens. Your question tells me you know very little and you would benefit from going through the photo books at your local library, even if they are old enough to be about film photography. The basics didn't change one bit.

For example: There is no macro involved in what you want to do and, wide angle lenses for close up portraits are the worst. Unless you're looking for special effect type of things thanks to the distortion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back