What Would You Want a Book to Cover in How to Do Astrophotography?

astrostu

I shoot for the stars
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last summer (2008), I posted a thread about a possible book I was thinking of developing that would discuss, in effect, how to do astrophotography with modern consumer-level cameras (and dSLRs). The idea seemed to have interest on the forum.

In short, the book idea was to cover the basics of exposure and how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO play together, why there's noise, specifics on photographing the moon, star trails, and constellations, more general information on other things like meteor showers, and then how to process the photos to reduce noise, how to use levels and curves, etc. I was also thinking about including some of the science behind what you're photographing (like why the moon is red during a total lunar eclipse).

The project stopped with that thread due to other projects and real work, though now I'm thinking of getting back to trying to put it together.

My purpose for this post is to ask the question: What would YOU want to see in such a book? If you picked up a book entitled something like, "Astrophotography with a Modern Consumer Camera," what information would you want it to have? Even if it's within the scope that I mentioned above, please mention it again so that I know someone would actually be interested in it.

Gear
What times and when to shoot
also think the science behind it would be great, maybe a little box in the corner of each relevant page for it ?

Also how did you get on with the beeb ? did they move from £200 ?

This might sound stupid, but a run down of how phases of the moon work. Because even though I have google, I still find it hard to get really get a nice simple explanation of how it works. I have started to notice the moon is out for consecutive days, and then seems to disappear for consecutive days. But between fighting for a clear night and no moon, I can't even begin to photograph star outside of chance. I can't believe I am the only one who never paid much attention to the moon until I needed it to go away.

But as for more specific stuff....everything you mentioned should be included. The more info the better. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to "how to" books, too much information is never the problem, its the way they fail to convey information in a manner the less experienced can understand. Pictures and drawings/diagrams are also nice for those of us who fail to absorb words alone.

Also, I think a bit covering FOCUS would be something. I find it hard to see stars through a viewfinder, and while I was told to use LiveView, film cameras do not have that. Just turning the focus ring to "infinity" also doesn't do the job IMO. Stuff like that. The exposure doesn't matter if it isn't in focus. Also, how to take a lot of pictures and layer them. I have heard about it, but never really dug into it yet. Maybe what type of attachments let you hook up to telescopes. Stuff you could google when its time to buy, but would be nice to have all in one place to you know what they are called and what is available...I am sure many wouldn't even think cameras could be attached to non-pressional telescopes....maybe they can't.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back