What you think

jor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there all,

I am just curious if there are any photographers who do both regular and digital photography:

What advantages do you think that 'regular' photography has over digital?
Do you find that going Digital meets all your quality expectations?

This oughta be good...

I shoot both, and I probably run more frames through my film cameras than my digital models. Both are superb media, and entirely different methods to get an image.

A number of years ago, I sold off all my film equipment to concentrate on digital methodology. In the past two years, I've managed to re-accumulate a number of film cameras, including 35mm, medium, and large formats. It's not that film is somehow superior to digital, or vice versa, but two different media depending on what I'm looking for in imaging.

The newer equipment offers far more flexibility to gain the image than I could ever have hoped for with film. There are different capture formats, color flexibility, and a host of other options that are only available because of the technology. Now, that's just on the capture side. The advent of editing technology with Adobe, Affinity, et al, adds real artistic freedom to develop images based on what one wants to see at the end.

With film, unless you had editing skills in the darkroom, you were limited to what the darkroom technician could get, even if you specified results. Now, I can scan those transparencies and negatives and put my own vision in the finished products. Do I want to punch up the color, improve contrast, add artistic touches numbering in thousands of combinations.

I still get great pleasure from the time I spend before tripping the shutter, whether digital or film. I often have both my digital and film cameras set up to capture the same image, just because I like to compare the results.

We live in a great time of flexibility and improving technology. I love it!!

Regular Photography ????? I would think digital is now regular.....:)

I assume by regular, you mean film? I shoot film because I enjoy it and the process. I like the look of film. It helps me slow down with digital. As far as image quality, I think it depends on the film format. I am always surprised by the image quality with a wet print vs. a scan. Digital is the norm these days but the whole experience of film, from start to finish can be very gratifying. One advantage with film is the negative, you always have a physical copy of your photo's.

Digital photography is regular

DO NOT COMPARE FILM TO DIGITAL PLEASE!!!!!

Unless you want to start a war or like your topic locked.

I have progressive arthritis in my hips which gives me a distinctly lopsided and wobbly stance so all my photography is irregular.

I still do a lot of film photography but that is mostly because I like the film cameras. In particular I prefer leaf shutters to focal plane shutters - given that I cannot afford a Hasselblad, that means film.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back