What YOU would choose???

vinay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you had the option to choose only 1 of the last 2 cameras left on this planet and only 1 lens of the last 3 lenses left, Which Dslr and which lens would you choose? And why? Everyone's comments, opinions, choices and participation is much appreciated. It'll mean a lot to me
tongue.png

The camera choices:
Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR
Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR

The lens choices:
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX
Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR

Last edited:
My choice wouldn't be a DSLR...

D3200 with 18-55If I could get a 35 or 50 with it even sweeter but I wouldn't compromise wide angle for a set prime. I would however shoot the zoom at most likely just 18 and 55. My current combo is a d7000 with 35 1.8 but I shoot with a 10-20 just as much. I am gathering funds for full frame and expect to have a 50 and 14-24 for a similar setup.

Let's face it d5100 is a better body but this isn't a d90 vs d5100 style of layout of button difference. It's a consumer layout vs consumer layout, in that case I go with the newer tech. Last years pro vs this years consumer is a harder decision. The only thing that d5100 has going for it is bkt and screen, but let's face it someone JUST buying a d5100 is going to shoot awful hdr's with the bkt anyways so it really doesn't matter.

hmm I'd say D5100 for sure (I like the noise performance over the 3200's crazy mp count), then the 50mm f/1.8G. However I really like shooting portraits so that's my focal length range (equiv 75mm on that body).

Wait why are all lenses in the world destroyed? because if its a post-apocolyptic nightmare I'd go for the 35mm f/1.8G just to get more torn and tattered landscapes in my shots. The 35mm is a more useful lens all around.

Edit: I saw another thread looking for advice on these, and I'd say if you have the budget, check out the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non stabilized version is sharper apparently). This lens would be a good compromise of the range covered by the 18-55 VR, but also give you a larger aperture option similar to that of the prime lenses (though slower 2.8 vs 1.8)

D5100 + 18-55

D5100 + 35mm. Me personally, I seem to get a higher count of shots I like with a 50mm equivalent. Also really nice for those Zombocalypse street shots.

Attachments

• $henricartierbresson_liverp_ copy.jpg
    $henricartierbresson_liverp_ copy.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 73
D5100 & 18-55.

D5100 and 35mm.

Some replies don't have reasons. It would really help.

Some replies don't have reasons. It would really help.
I prefer the proven technology of the D5100 to the new and unproven technology of the D3200. The D3200 is an entry-level camera with high resolution.

There is absolutely no way whatsoever I would limit myself to one prime focus lens. That is just too restrictive. An 18-55 is to restrictive in my opinion and would not be my first choice.

Personally I would only choose anything in the choices you provided if I had no choice. They are good equipment but not what I would pick. Based on the choices provided, the D5100 and 18-55 were, in my opinion, the best compromises.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back