What's Better To Improve My Low Light Shoots? A Lighter Lens Or A Speedlite?

Ansatgip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, i'm trying to become a professional photographer, an i would like you to help me with something. I think i can begin making some profit as a photographer by improving my low light photography, but the only equipment i have is a 18-55mm with a bult in flash. My question is, do you think i should buy a speedlite (Youngnuo YN568EX) or a lighter lens like a 50mm? Thanks for your time

OH DEAR.
If you knew enough to be selling photography you would already know the answer to this question.
Please start here:Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
Once you have mastered how to control exposure, composition and focus using the shutter speed, ISO and aperture, then you can add in a flash.
For professional work you're going to need the 50mm and about 2 more professional grade lenses, a speedlite and an off camera setup, then the knowledge in how to use the speedlite and off camera set up.
If you REALLY think there is money to be made in this business you have to be the best of the best and trust me at $25 per 8x10 no one is making a ton of money. Please read this for more information on the $$$ end of this.http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/304732-finding-your-codb-your-hourly-rate.html and this http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-its-not-answer-what-do-i-charge-for____.html
Then read this post on starting the business endeavor.http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ng-business-building-house-2.html#post2707594

I think i can begin making some profit as a photographer by improving my low light photography,... My question is, do you think i should buy a speedlite (Youngnuo YN568EX) or a lighter lens like a 50mm? Thanks for your time

Short answer, both.

I would probably start with a fast lens, then move to flash.

:popcorn:

DejaVu...here we go

MULTIPLE fast lenses, MULTIPLE flashes +the equipment and ability to use the flashes on and off camera. your first flash should be whatever OEM brand is made specifically for your camera. IE: Nikon or Canon speedlights.
mastering the exposure triangle doesn't hurt either.

Full frame body

And at least like 2-3k in glass to shoot with.

Don't look at starting a business with a best buy starter rig.

Wait... your other posts say you don't even have a DSLR yet. So, you intend to be a Best Buy Photographer? As In I buy a camera today and tomorrow I am a professional?
Yeah, NO. Doesn't work that way.

:popcorn:

DejaVu...here we go

MULTIPLE fast lenses, MULTIPLE flashes +the equipment and ability to use the flashes on and off camera. your first flash should be whatever OEM brand is made specifically for your camera. IE: Nikon or Canon speedlights.
mastering the exposure triangle doesn't hurt either.
There's a lot of this going on around here lately.

I would recommend just the opposite - flash unit, then fast lens.

Using flash (strobed light) effectively, particularly off camera flash (OCF), is a key to professional looking photographs.

See Strobist: Lighting 101 and flash photography techniques « Neil vN – tangents
^This.

Get the Yongnuo flash, but also get a light stand, umbrella and a set of radio transceivers to get the flash off the camera and soften it. Yongnuo makes some nice, inexpensive transceivers as well. The Yongnuo RF-603 transceivers are popular and not very expensive at all.

Learning to light will make the biggest improvement to your photography for the buck.

Get a 645 camera and some packs of Delta 3200

I think i can begin making some profit as a photographer by improving my low light photography,... My question is, do you think i should buy a speedlite (Youngnuo YN568EX) or a lighter lens like a 50mm? Thanks for your time

Short answer, both.

I would probably start with a fast lens, then move to flash.

You have more flexibility in what you can shoot with additional lighting vs. a faster lens. Try shooting in near dark with a f/1-f/2 lens vs. a f/5.6 with at least one external flash. You're going to be shooting wide open with a razor thin DOF with very high ISO and a long shutter speed and the camera will have to be stabilized vs. shooting at a reasonable aperture for shooting more than an eye ball where shutter speed doesn't matter as much with the ability to properly expose even a moving subject.

Most reactions

Back