whats so good about a pro camera??

Now that I (sort of) 'know' my camera (T3i). I am wondering what better, nicer, more expensive cameras have that mine doesn't. What is so much better about a professional camera than a entry level one? The only thing I can think of is higher ISO. So what else is different? Just curious :mrgreen:

As one of my pro buddies told me when I asked him that exact question: "I can focus faster, more accurately, in dimmer light, with more resolution, less noise, more reliability, under worse conditions than you can with yours. Other than that, it's the same." He's a photojournalist, and his stuff is regularly in the local main rag, often on the front page. He often literally has only seconds to get the shot. Having reliable equipment that works is fundamental to him. I am a hobbyist, and I can afford to take my time, so I can't justify the money he spends. Of course, his knowing how to use his equipment makes it work for him, but when he's on that edge, he wants all the advantages he can get on his side.

Here's a good example. My friend is a pro photographer. He shot images of a couple flying into a tiny landing strip at night in a small airplane (Cessna 152). They got out of the plane and walked over to a tree with lights and ornaments on it. This was completely pre-arranged. The girl opened up 3 ornaments and the last one contained an engagement ring. My friend was hiding in the woods and was able to capture the plane flying in and their private moments together, plus the couple getting engaged. He shot the series at 10,000 ISO with his Canon 1Ds Mark III.

Try THAT with a DX sensor.

My D7000 and Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 could handle that no problem.....LIVE on DX

Here's a good example. My friend is a pro photographer. He shot images of a couple flying into a tiny landing strip at night in a small airplane (Cessna 152). They got out of the plane and walked over to a tree with lights and ornaments on it. This was completely pre-arranged. The girl opened up 3 ornaments and the last one contained an engagement ring. My friend was hiding in the woods and was able to capture the plane flying in and their private moments together, plus the couple getting engaged. He shot the series at 10,000 ISO with his Canon 1Ds Mark III.

Yes but if our entry level, or prosumer level bodies are dropped from a moving vehicle, will they still get the job done?

Nikon D3s camera falls from a motorcycle, continues to shoot | Nikon Rumors

^ThisI dropped my d70 (Black Rapid fail) the shutter jammed. This all happened while I was in vacation in Thailand...

Last edited:
Well if I ever dropped my D7000 I would probly jump for the car as well.....lol

I've used a few pro cameras recently though very briefly. I was testing the 1Dx and D4 and I can tell you that they are the most sturdy cameras I have ever held or shot. They also have a reassuring weight to them, plenty of dedicated buttons and a longer battery life. They are also able to take higher quality pictures at a higher frame rate with ease.

As a comment on the durability side, I think the magnesium alloy frame of pro and prosumer cameras make a massive difference. I dropped my 20D down a flight of stairs and, much like the D3 in the video, only the battery door was damaged but was later fixed. I watched it bounce step by step, I feared for the worst but was pleasantly surprised. The 20D is by no means a D3 but they share the magnesium bodies that make all the difference.

When your job is dependent on your camera working then it has to be durable!

Yes but if our entry level, or prosumer level bodies are dropped from a moving vehicle, will they still get the job done?

So all pro bodies can survive that kind of impact?

I've used a few pro cameras recently though very briefly. I was testing the 1Dx and D4 and I can tell you that they are the most sturdy cameras I have ever held or shot. They also have a reassuring weight to them, plenty of dedicated buttons and a longer battery life. They are also able to take higher quality pictures at a higher frame rate with ease.

As a comment on the durability side, I think the magnesium alloy frame of pro and prosumer cameras make a massive difference. I dropped my 20D down a flight of stairs and, much like the D3 in the video, only the battery door was damaged but was later fixed. I watched it bounce step by step, I feared for the worst but was pleasantly surprised. The 20D is by no means a D3 but they share the magnesium bodies that make all the difference.

When your job is dependent on your camera working then it has to be durable!

Exactly, it all depends on if it is needed for your job.

Also weather sealing is crucial if you need it.

1x.com - Pushing the limits by Christer Lindh

Pro cameras don't have a pop up flash

I thought Hasselblads had them - or at least some of them did. Does this mean Hassy isn't pro? ;)

Also durability can be extreme on some pro gear:

Last edited by a moderator:

So all pro bodies can survive that kind of impact?

Maybe not every time. But if my job and families lively hood depended on my equipment working in extreme conditions you sure can bet I would own one.

yes, my t3i does shoot in raw...though I have yet to try it out.

Once you go raw, you never go back.
fiufiu.gif

nefcr2jpag.jpg

Most reactions

Back