Whats the best way to send a large folder of pictures?

camerainmyhand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.camerainmyhand.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am trying to send a large folder of pictures to a client. I zipped the folder, and I am trying to send it thru yousendit.com, but it is going to take over 3 hours to get there. Is there anything I could do in the future to speed this process up? i.e. resizing the files (and if so any suggestions for the size of the files), any faster file transfer programs? is .rar better than .zip?

Thanks for any help or input you can offer me.

If you're sending samples to indicate composition, lighting, stuff like that you can resize them and save them at a lower quality and save enormous amounts of space (make sure the client knows the finished versions will be at a much higher quality - perhaps send one in the original condition).

If these are the finished product there isn't that much you can do.

you could always buy server space, upload the pictures there and then send the folder link to the client. You can even password protect it.

I use servage.net for my hosting, cheap and easy and reliable. I can give you an e -coupon too if you want

Hosting them on your own server is probably best; another option I guess would be to compress folders within the compressed folder

Zipped and encrypted with a complex password and hosted on a private server. FTP account requires a specific name and password as well, for access.

With the speed of internet access now a days, its easy to do. I myself often download something like 30-40GB per week for business usage.

is .rar better than .zip?

If you are using JPEGs you may find that there is nothing much to be gained in terms of file size by trying to compress them further with a lossless data compression method - you could end up with zip files that are larger than the original JPEG. It's easy enough to test for yourself, of course.

Best,
Helen

Depending on how large we're talking, and how urgent they need it, I think putting them on a DVD(s) then sending it by mail is really the best idea.

Even if you're both running on fairly fast internet, it's probably gonna take hours and hours just to get it uploaded and then downloaded.

Most reactions

Back