What's the difference between these two flashes?

KC10Chief

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at getting a flash for my K10D. Can anybody tell me what the difference is between these two flashes other than $120? Why would the more expensive flash be worth it if at all? I'm really wanting to get a flash that I can use off-camera with a soft box for some macro stuff. Any other recommendations other than these two lenses? Thanks!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/399856-REG/Pentax_30425_AF_540_FGZ_P_TTL_Shoe.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222172-REG/Pentax_30333_AF_360_FGZ_P_TTL_Shoe.html

The first one you posted is lots more powerful. Other than that there may be a few other features that are different, but that's the one i noticed.

What do you guys think about the Sigma EF530 compared to the two flashes in my first post?

What do you want to do with a flash? If you want TTL for daylight fill flash then you'll need an OEM. Beyond that you would need to decide what you will mostly use it for. If you haven't been there go over to strobist.com and look around.

The primary difference between the two is the increased power from the 540. You also get 1 more step of variable power with it over the 360 as it can go to 1/64.
I actually chose the Sigma ef500 DG Super for my K10d. It has served all my needs and comes in at about $230usd. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the 540 but for no good reason really. What kills me is the price of the cords and hot shoe adapters to use it off camera. You'll shell out about another $130 for a 6' cord and 2 hot shoe adapters.

Thanks for the info! The only thing I think I would use it off camera for is macro stuff. Bugs. B&H has a 3' cord and the hot shoe adapter. It is about $50 for both of them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and get the 540. I've been reading about them. At least I'll have the best flash for my camera.

Most reactions

Back