What's the Difference Between VR II and VR

domu221

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im thinking about buying a new lens to replace my 18-55mm (the one that comes with the body). Im thinking about 28-300mm or the 18-200mm. Eitherway, their f-stops are equal but my question is the VR. I saw one used on ebay and its VR but the new ones are VRII. So what exactly is the differencE? is it major?

The VR II added a lens lock at 18mm. The 18-200 VR is prone to lens creep as it got old (hold the lens facing down and the lens would extend to 200mm on it's own), so the lock was added. Easy to fix with a lens band... which is just one of those rubber bracelets.
Here you can see them side by side:Nikon 18-200mm VR II

Also, the VR technology is supposed top be improved in the VR II for a more stable image. I haven't seen any actual testing to prove it, but people who've used both tend to agree with that.

Last edited:
On some lenses VRII has a tripod mode, that VR didn't have.

VR needs to be turned off when the camera/lens is solidly mounted on a tripod, but not when the camera lens is mounted on a monopod.

Both VR and VRII become useless at higher shutter speeds, and are of limited use on shorter focal length lenses like an 18-55 mm lens.

Nikon VR explained

for the 18-200mm, the first generation (red "vr" on lens) already used VRII technology. all you are getting with the newer version (gold "vr") is the 18mm lock. same technology, same glass, same quality images. in all honestly, i do not think it is worth the price difference.

as far as creep goes, i understand that it only occurs when zoom is extended to something like 35mm before it starts to creep when you point it down, and something like 170mm when you point it up.

save some money and get the first gen version. if you must have the newest stuff, then so be it.

as far as the difference between VRI and VRII technology: VRI claims 3 stop gains. VRII claims 4 stop gains.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back