What's the difference

crayfish13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
At the moment I have a casio ex-z600 point and shoot camera, and i was wondering if i got something like a canon 30d or 20d would I notice a $1000 difference. I love taking action shot and scenery. And im really enjoying taking pictures. My casio actually does a good job but i feel sort of limited. I know the dslr will be able to take 3-5fps in burst yes that is one of the reasons im looking at dsrl. So I want to know what else makes a dslr so much better than a P&S. Im also super exited about learning how to use a dslr so manual mode would be a definate selling point. What it really comes down to is I want to know is it worth it for me to get a DSLR and would I notice the deference. Also my parents have a 35mm canon slr film camera and i was wondering if the lens would work if i did end up getting a canon dslr.

Thanks

At the moment I have a casio ex-z600 point and shoot camera, and i was wondering if i got something like a canon 30d or 20d would I notice a $1000 difference.
Thanks
I dont know much about photography and I know even less about the aformentioned casio ex-z600,but I am going to go out on a limb here and say yes you would notice a Difference between the two.:scratch: :scratch:

You would notice a HUGE difference, you can buy a good used 20d resonable now, and yes the ef lens off of any eos camera will work.

Thanks for the input. Right now I only have $800 so ill keep saving and hopefully have enough for the summer.

There are many differences. As you mentioned, the frame rate will be faster, especially with a 20D or 30D. More importantly, the shutter lag will be much faster. With most digi-cams, when you press the button, it takes some time before the camera snaps the photo...which makes it hard to shoot sports/action/kids etc. A DSLR is much faster.

The biggest difference, IMO, is the size of the sensor. A DSLR will have a much bigger sensor than 99% of non-SLR digital cameras. This means better image quality, especially at high ISO settings. A good DSLR like the 30D will be better at ISO 1600 than a lot of digi-cams at ISO 400.

The investment is also much better. How much is your Casio worth on the used market? Probably not very much...but used 20D are still going for around $1000-$800 give or take. Then there are the lenses. A good quality lens can hold 80-90% of it's value for many, many years.

Of course, additional lenses are costly, as is the camera...

Thing is, while better equipment gives you more options, it doesn't automatically make you a better photographer. Don't expect your photography to get better just because you bought a new camera. That seems to be a common mistake. Much of what makes a great image great is composition, which you can learn with any camera. An upgrade can still be worthwhile, just don't expect it to change anything right away unless you already know exactly why you need a new one.

HA! This all depends on what you consider a $1000 difference.

With a point & shoot camera, you can get 400% better for less than $50 if you just buy and read a good book or two. But eventually, the camera will become the limiting factor.

It is true that SLRs have better optics, sensors, and pretty much everything else than a P&S. But it may not be a huge difference to you. There are many people who have come and gone here, who have had rudimentary skills and a P&S. They buy the SLR, and expect a magical transformation. When it doesn't happen, they either have a tantrum and leave when we point out that maybe the camera wasn't the problem, or they swallow their pride and really start to learn about photography.

You don't need to spend more than $800 to get started. My Pentax K100D with kit lens was about $656 with tax. Canon Rebel XT with a kit lens is probably even less. An Olympus E-500 with BOTH kit lenses comes in around $700 I believe...

Bottom line, buy a book first. Learn about the craft of photography. The book will detail the differences between an SLR and a P&S. P&S cameras can & do produce outstanding photos.

Thanks a lot all the information helps a lot. I still have awhile before i will enven have enough money to buy one so hopefully i will have made up my mind. For the time beeing im gonna practice on my parents Canon A-1 SLR film camera and see what thats like.

Canon A-1s were top of the line. Very nice cameras. (it's not an AE-1, is it? Those were not quite as nice...)

When you have your film developed, also have it scanned for future convenience.

If you looking at the camera straight on if someone was taking a picture of you it say A-1 on the left hand side, so i think it a canon a-1 unless the e is somewhere else. One of the big reason I want a conon is because my parents have 5 lenses already they have 500mm, 80-200mm, 50mm and two other im not sure what they are.

Be advised that the lens mount on your parents' Canon is not the same as on modern Canons. Modern Canons use EOS mount lenses. The old one is Canon F mount, or something. So that is no reason.

The $1000 difference will depend on how into photography you are or want to be. If you are really into it you will appreciate the money spent, if not it's a waste of time.

There is no REAL difference... it is all in the mind of the photographer.

If your casio provides you everything you need to make the photos you love, then no.. there is no difference.

If your casio prevents you from creating a photograph you desire, then yes.. there is a difference.

Its all in our heads.

Wasn't there a professional photographer that made a wonderful series with an Holga?
Wasn't there a recent series made by a pro in which the entire series was shot with a consumer P&S?

At times, I still shoot with a 3.3mp Canon G1 P&S made back in 2000 while my DSLR sits in storage. why... because it fit my needs at the time.

Jeremy.. you should earn commission... hehe lol.. I'm joking buddy.. couldn't help myself.

Most reactions

Back