What's the mod/admin policy on trolling?

This. I think TPF is more than a little too far on the side of over moderation. Threads routinely get locked just because mods don't think they are sufficiently close to being on topic or something like that, sometimes even when the OP is participating in the change in topic, and other times even though nobody is complaining about the derailment and discussion is being productive and interesting and civil (just not about the original thing).

Or two threads about the same thing, so long as they were not started by the same person or right at the same time, why are we locking those? That's just annoying and micromanaging.

Locking is IMO something that should only be done when people are actually being spiteful at one another or name calling or being otherwise aggressive/hurtful, or headed directly toward that (like bringing up hardcore partisan political ideologies would be a reason to lock, even if nobody has responded in an insulted fashion yet, because it's obviously going to happen soon)

I am sure no one would mind if you wanted to start your own online forum, and run it the way you choose to!

Who defines what is "spiteful "name calling" "aggressive/hurtful"? What doesn't bother you, may make someone else leave the forum forever! Very subjective... and the mods "middle of the road" it, pretty well!

I say that^.. even having had more issues and temp bans than most....

I'm also free to (and expressly invited to) express my suggestions on the "Feedback and Suggestions" forum... Not saying everyone agrees with me. I just think the modding is a bit too aggressive. Might be the only one who feels that way for all I know.

The mods do a pretty good job... that was my main point. Second guessing them is pointless, especially when you do not have access to all the information they may have on some of the decisions they make! The old "You can make some people happy some of the time, but you CANT make all of the people Happy all of the time" thing! ;)

"not having all the information" Yeah.... I dunno. If this were like, a minecraft forum or something full of 13 year olds, then I would assume that it would need much more aggressive moderating than other forums. But it's an adult hobby forum, of the same ilk as others I have participated in (and/or moderated in) that have less aggressive moderating and work just fine, and also unlikely to have any especially different circumstances or extreme considerations going on behind the scenes.

But yeah, I dunno, maybe photography for some reason just has way more hidden drama than computer programming, etc. I suppose it's possible due to photography being a hobby for "artists," but I'm skeptical.

Pffft.. pleasing everyone.. that's a **** sandwich without the bread.

I think we should just do it the way we did growing up and in the Army ... no need for all the verbal jousting. Just go outside, beat the holy living chit out of each other... winner is clear and you go back to getting along afterwards.

I've been begging for the admin to develop some kind of THUNDER DOME addon for the site to use for just this very purpose - sadly they've yet to assign someone the task.

Gavjenks - remember you can always ask a mod why something was locked, even if its not the mod who locked it they can find out who and for what reasons. Most of the time when we lock things we try to leave a notice to inform. Most of the times locking is one of the last things we use and honestly we don't like having to do it - but sometimes you get a thread where the direction either has or is very strongly heading toward old battle grounds - or you get a small group of users fighting it out, locked horns and are not letting go. At that point its much easier to simply pull things to a stop with a lock than let them finish out and likely just fall further into disruption and drawing other people in as well.

But we are always open to discussion on matters and whilst we can't always respond how a user would like us to we do take efforts to please as many as we can. Sometimes though we are often left with few tools to work with, members also have to be active in telling us how we can please them or what we provide to enhance their experience and use of the site.

so, uhm, i'm against gun control - who's with me?

tumblr_ltloi6erkQ1qg6rkio1_500.gif

And also, do you have a vegan **** substitute? I'm ok without the bread.

I'm sure we could dig up some vegan ****.

Yeah.. I took a vegan (unknowingly) on a survival training exercise.. it is HARD for a vegan to survive in the wild ... in fact, I'm pretty sure if it hadn't been an exercise.. we'd have a dead vegan.

And I really like the idea of a TPF Thunder Dome..

o_O

For the purposes of clarification the TPF Thunderdome will be the Mel Gibson edition, without Mel - but with Mish.

o_O

For the purposes of clarification the TPF Thunderdome will be the Mel Gibson edition, without Mel - but with Mish.

Thats not fair.. she cheats.. and fights dirty >
smiley_nutkick.gif

Most reactions

Back