What's the most youve ever paid for...

How much have you paid for a memory card?

• $10-20

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • $21-35

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • $36-50

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • $51-75

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • $76-90

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • $91-120

• $121-150

• $151-180

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • $181-200

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • $200-250

• $251-300

• $301-350

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $351-400

• $401-450

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • $451-500

• $500-550

• $550-600

• $601+

• Total voters

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...a memory card? I had no idea that cards can range up to $550+!! You could about buy a whole camera for that amount of money! I thought spending $40 for a card was expensive :er:.

I pay roughly £1 per gb

got a 4gb sd card for £5

when I got my 20D i got an adapter for £11 so I can use SD cards instead of compact flash.

...a memory card? I had no idea that cards can range up to $550+!! You could about buy a whole camera for that amount of money! I thought spending $40 for a card was expensive :er:.

Back when the first entry level DSRLs were released, around 2003 i believe, memory cards were very expensive, you would pay hundreds of dollars per GB, look at this 2004 article on DPreview.

The most I've paid for a memory card was in 2005, when I bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D70s, I paid more than $200 for a 2GB card.

Edit: fixed link to article

Last edited:
I usually tend to use 4GB Class 4 cards mostly now... though at one point I bought a more expensive, high-speed 8GB card.

I've owned about a dozen and a half different SD cards over the last six or seven years, ranging from 256MB to 8GB, and I've never had one wear out and fail on me. That's pretty reassuring, but inevitably, it's going to happen that a card will suddenly cease to function when I go to import my photos. Thus, I'm not too keen on huge memory cards, really... I like the idea of using smaller cards and just swapping them out as I fill them during a shoot. In fact, I rarely need to use more than two during an outing. At 4GB, I can hold something like 250 photos per card (12MP, 12-bit, compressed RAW).

Fast cards are cool, but you pay such a premium for those extra Class points! Class 4 works just fine for me...

Wow! $200+ for a 2GB. Thats insane, IMO. If that was the going price, though, I can see the need for something like that. Wow. Id love to hear more! :)

Mark

Wow! $200+ for a 2GB. Thats insane, IMO. If that was the going price, though, I can see the need for something like that. Wow. Id love to hear more! :)

Mark
Compared to buying 4000 rolls of film, it was dirt cheap.

Mark

I remember paying over 100$ for a 128MB card to use with my first Sony point and shoot back when I was in high school.

I paid $89 for 16 MB smartmedia when I got my first digital camera, 2 whole megapixels. I also bought a 16 GB compact flash when they were first available and paid a little more than $300 for it. I still use that card today as it is great to be able to shoot an entire vacation, 4 weddings and a funeral all on one card.

Not all that costly outright, but in price/size the most I paid was around $80 for a 128mb SmartMedia card in 2001.

$150 for a 4-gig card I needed while on assignment...

When I got back home I ordered more of the same card for $120 online.

Just a thought, but I usually buy a card or two every year on Black Friday when you can get them for half price (assuming you know where to look). ;)

ok... the old prices of these cards are making me nauseous. I remember paying $40 bucks for a 64mb card... back with one of my first Digi-cams. now i can get a 4G for a fraction of that cost. How silly. I was still using film cameras before that.. so memory cards didnt phase me. haha. Although, i do have a big ol' sony digital camera.. that takes FLOPPY DISC's... :lmao: I totally forgot about it until recently.. went to hit to eject button, and out pops this big ol ugly floppy disc.... Ahhhahaha... ah hell no! :biglaugh::meh:

Last edited:
Paying full retail price for memory is a bit silly isn't it?

That's why we carry backup cards and batteries, right?

Most reactions

Back