whats up with this focus?

goldtop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok. this is the first roll of 35mm film ive shot since i was a little kid with one of those cheap plastic point-n-clicks. Got a Minolta X700 with a 50mm lens from goodwill for $20, learned enough about aperture, shutter speed, etc to feel comfortable experimenting...problem is...(maybe this is why the camera was at goodwill) It doesnt seem to focus where its supposed to be focusing. Or at least where i see it focusing through the viewfinder.

This kitten was in complete focus through the viewfinder but for some reason the area in focus is off to the right. i dont remember my settings but i find it odd that the focus isnt in the center of the frame as it was on the camera.
Webp_net_resizeimage.jpg

again, this cat was in focus through the viewfinder but the area in focus on film is somewhere else:
Webp_net_resizeimage_1.jpg

same again with cute but sad baby, Mara (didnt want to get out of the pool). Her face was in focus through viewfinder but not in picture. it's her ears and the top/back of her head.
Webp_net_resizeimage_2.jpg

Are there any focus aids on the screen (split prism, microprism etc)?

Shutter speed is probably way off is my guess. Slower. Camera shake could be it.

Doesn't look like camera movement.

Poor scan quality? Slow shutter?

Try another lens?

Focus screen not in place?

Most 50mm lenses will open up pretty wide though. Could it be a DOF problem?

Are you using the split-screen or micro-prism to focus. Are you taking the focus past the subject and then coming back until you have the focus point.

It could be something with the camera. I think you can pull the focus screen on that model and either replace it or just put the same one back in. I would only try that after running a roll through and taking shots with the camera on a tripod and focusing on some still objects.

I also tended to stay away from large apertures until I started shooting digital.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back