what's wrong with these photos?

You can make the point the shot suffers because of the angle without taking three posts to drive the lens into the mud. This is the lens some people have and the lens some people can afford.

It's also a lens which countless people have taken countless excellent photos with. It doesn't work well when you're shooting directly into the sun? Well, here's a crazy idea: Don't use it when you're shooting directly into the sun.

It's always amusing to see fans who want to elevate a $99, plastic, pop-riveted-together Canon lens to the status of something like a Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summicron ASPH.

"Some" lens designs are very weak when shot toward the light. I also mentioned a very expensive Nikon zoom lens that is also quite poor when shot toward the light.

Shooting volleyball at slow shutter speeds wide-open with a lens that's not that good wide-open is gonna lead to substandard photos. Shutter speeds simply need to be appropriate to the shooting situation, and 1/250 is too slow a speed for many action situations.

Last edited:
You can make the point the shot suffers because of the angle without taking three posts to drive the lens into the mud. This is the lens some people have and the lens some people can afford.

It's also a lens which countless people have taken countless excellent photos with. It doesn't work well when you're shooting directly into the sun? Well, here's a crazy idea: Don't use it when you're shooting directly into the sun.

It's always amusing to see fans who want to elevate a $99, plastic, pop-riveted-together Canon lens to the status of something like a Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summicron ASPH.

Not sure what "fans" you're talking about. I would think if I were a fan, I would have one. I just checked the Pelicans and, nope, still don't have one.

I also don't quite see how making the statement that countless excellent photos have been taken with the lens (which is true) equates to me trying to "elevate" it to the status of a Leica 50mm.

Your reasoning is nonsensical.

Most reactions

Back