What's your favorite focal length and why?

You do realize it depends on your subject. That makes this a silly question doesn't it?

You do realize it depends on your subject. That makes this a silly question doesn't it?

Of course your subject and the circumstances dictate your focal length. The question is about your favorite focal length. If the situation calls for it, I’ll use a WA but I like shooting better when I’m using a zoom or a long prime. Sometimes the lens you like dictates your subjects and not vice versa.

I am sure the thread starter does realize this. What makes forums interesting for me is replies that flush out the details of what may be a very broad question. I often find replies that provide an insight I had not thought of.

500mm. Because I don't have 600mm.

You made some great points, Derrell. The 180 f2.8 made wonderful images. The issue was always carrying it. Another great Nikkor telephoto was the 105 f2.5. Only five elements. Incredible images (and much easier to carry than the 180). I think it was the most popular of all the Nikkor telephotos.
When I was working news, the 180mm went everywhere with me. The 180mm, 85mm and 20mm were most used lenses.

T-Kennedy-1---HP.jpg

Nikkor 180mm, f/2.8

Of course your subject and the circumstances dictate your focal length. The question is about your favorite focal length. If the situation calls for it, I’ll use a WA but I like shooting better when I’m using a zoom or a long prime. Sometimes the lens you like dictates your subjects and not vice versa.

Yes, it works that way too. In this case I like 35mm on full frame for walking around as I can cover more subjects.

Most reactions

Back