When is the best.....

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On what occasions is it best to use a polarizing filter? Thanks ahead for all input.

Generally a polarizing filter cuts down on unwanted reflecitons/glare. So you'd most use it on bright sunny days. Cuts down the sun's reflections off water and other highly reflective objects. Also helps saturate colors a bit, especially the sky.

On what occasions is it best to use a polarizing filter? Thanks ahead for all input.
When do you put your polarized sunglasses on?

It will be most effective when shooting 90° to the sun. It will enhance greens and blues, make clouds pop and reduce/enhance glare and reflections.

It's pretty much the only affect you can't duplicate in post processing. Think of it as an investment, so don't cheap out.

Most useful filter you'll ever own. As said, it reduces reflections. But, not just water. Everything reflects. Green leaves reflect sunlight, so the pol cuts the light coming from them, deepening the color. Skies are obvious, but you have to be careful with wide lenses. You'll often get deep blue in one part of the frame while the other remains light (with gradation in between). They can also be used as an ND filter to some extent. As has been said, do not go cheap. Buy the best you can afford.

I hear anytime your outside and around the noon time sun is the best time. Also heard its good for most any photo but not photos of people. I went with a B&W one the other day and it was hard to lay out the big bucks but I did not want to let a ok or cheap filter hold back my good lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back