When it tends to get boring...

:lmao: - it's hard to pretend to be working when i'm LMAO!

JTHphoto said:
grapes of wrath was the first and last thing i had to read of his. my sister loves him too, but this book was HORRIBLE. he took a whole chapter to describe a turtle crossing the road, it was like 30 pages :grumpy: .

"A turtle crossed the road". BAM. done, 5 words. was that so hard??? :mrgreen:

every other chapter was like this, completely pointless, there was a literary term for it, but i think i just didn't get it. i wasn't really into the classics. i'm just bitter because they made us read a 500 page novel over the summer, that's just wrong ;) .

:D

Ok, look. In French litterature class, we usually have about two weeks to read, re-read and analyze and understand a novel, whatever the lenght, so DONT'T YOU COMPLAIN!!! ;)
It's nice you told me raisins of wrath is crap, cause now I've got an excuse I can present to myself for not reading it. :D

Oh, and by any chance, did you read Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"?
We just read it in english class (actually we had the whole term for it and I've already read it before...) and our Xmas exam's gonna be on it. I was just interested to know someone else's opinion on it or some elements someone might have noticed that I didn't...

Alexandra said:
Ok, look. In French litterature class, we usually have about two weeks to read, re-read and analyze and understand a novel, whatever the lenght, so DONT'T YOU COMPLAIN!!! ;-)
It's nice you told me raisins of wrath is crap, cause now I've got an excuse I can present to myself for not reading it. :D

Oh, and by any chance, did you read Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"?
We just read it in english class (actually we had the whole term for it and I've already read it before...) and our Xmas exam's gonna be on it. I was just interested to know someone else's opinion on it or some elements someone might have noticed that I didn't...

i vaguely remember reading the cliff notes for that, something about FORD and cloning? is this the right book? absolutely no help to you whatsoever... i'll have to see if i can dig up my essay... literature was my weak point, it was so subjective. i'm a math/science geek, always a right/wrong answer!

yeah, it's the right book. I read it twice. Dunno why, I love it a looot.
...And it's strange, most people have a clear preference for science etc. or litterature etc... But I kinda hesitate between both. Right now I'm in the biology option (for there was no litterature), but next year I'll have to choose between Scientific or Litterary profile... and it's gonna be hard. Very hard.

in HS my lit classes were required, no way out, i took science classes for my optional stuff, they were the easiest and most fun. we got to blow stuff up in chem and launch water balloons in physics - reading/writing can't compare to that! :)

Hehe, this is so true.
Except my labs never turn out the way they should... once I nearly burned my books, but I guess that was just my natural goofiness.
But I love science, I love to get to know the why's and the how's and also the guy sitting next to me in that class is really awesome, so i double love it.
And I'm really into biology. I'm fascinated.
But then again, writing and reading is nice too...
I think I wonder too much.

(WOW! I'm almost halfway to the 1,000 posts!!!)

Ok, random post:
Had my math-436 exam this morning. I was all freaking and totally stressed out, but it went pretty good. Though I won't talk too fast cause last time i said that, i got 64%. Then in the afternoon i had the biology exam. Incredibly easy. So i'm feeling rather good :D
well, that's it. I was just bored and wanted to share my day ;)

Ah, and I have history and huxley's brave new world exams tomorrow. so all encouragement welcome ;)

speaking of authors, who's read "IT" by Stephen King? I'm about half-way, put it off because i had to read a novel for a book report but i'm gonna go pick it up here in a bit. Good book, King really develops his characters well. And it seems so real. When I go to work in the car wash and look in the main drainage grate, i think IT is down there :meh::lmao:

umm, never read it, but started "pet cemetary" like 4 years ago and then lost the book. it's a pity, i really loved the book.

good luck on the exams! i looked for my BNW essay, but alas it is long gone, got one on Adam Bede and Lord of the Flies...

sorry matty, never read any of King's books, am i missing out?

never read King?????????
you really are missing something! But then again if reading's not your thing...

All exams done! Whoot! How was Brave New World? I am thinking about reading it over the holidays so my final essay on 1984 can be a comparison of the two.

aw, BNW is just AWESOME!!!!! Great style, great story, character, everything, the utopia's sooo perfect!
I started reading 1984 last week. One main difference between those two is that in BNW everyone's happy, but really happy (actually cause...) ok, well, I'll let you read and discover it all by yourself or else i could talk about it for hours and hours.
the begining's kinda long and somewhat lazy, but then it goes on and it's just wow! the cool thing is to analyse it and find parallels with our actual world. even though it's been written in 1932, all of it is still very very true.
(oh, and pay attention to John's conversation with Mustapha Mond, towards the ending, really interesting)
Ok, gotta stop it.
And it's a great idea to read it!
(if you want one more, read "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin. pretty good one.) ;)

Okay, school's over for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now i'll just keep tryin to get to 1K posts before the end of the break. gotta have a challenge.

Sooooo, who's bored and has a story to tell?

(if you want one more, read "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin. pretty good one.) ;-)
:thumbup: A fun read! :D I always liked Ira Levin. One that's probably a bit dated, but still an intense read, is "A Kiss Before Dying". Might be out of print by now, but I bet you'd like it. Crazy stuff.

Most reactions

Back