When Life Gives You Lemons

Looks a bit soft, as well as a lot of noise. Not sure if your optics are up to the task. And without EXIF data, it's hard to tell what ISO you used.

What do you mean by my optics might not be up to the task?

Shutter was 1/13, ISO 100. I don't remember aperture, since it was a manual lens, but I think it was around f/22?

Honestly, I was just playing with the aperture and shutter speed until I got something decent. When it comes to manual lenses I get lost without the exposure value. This was shot outside in direct sunlight from behind the camera. Maybe it would have been better if it was coming through the glass towards the camera. I'll give that a shot.

That image you linked was what I was aiming for, didn't turn out as good though.

OP--I see a lot of noise in the shot on Flickr. I would say you needed more light, more exposure. And a slightly lower ISO value. And I agree, a bit more light on the FRONT of the citrus slice would probably help to give a brighter look at it. You DO WANT some back lighting, but also want some what is, essentially, "fill-in" lighting on the front side too, to get a bit stronger color on the citrus peel. See how the citrus peel has al almost lavender (faint) look in a few spots??? THAT is the under-exposure giveaway, and that's why there's so much noise in the image.... f/22 at 1/13 second is actually NOT "all that much" exposure on a subject like this, with the light coming from behind.

Most reactions

Back