When man works hard

inneist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! :)

I need your critiques, thanks!

workhard.jpg

I love the shot! The silky material on the gent's hat matching the string on the 3rd mannequin's pants is pretty cool as well, don't know if you meant it like that.

Very cool, I like it a lot. Where was this taken?

Moscovite: I like your observation about the hat. Honestly I myself didn't notice it. hehe.

mysteryscribe: the reverse pyramid composition. I'm ignorant on the history of photography. Any samples for self-study?

JJP: thanks. it was in near T-central of Stockholm in Sweden.

there are several classic still life compositions that go back to the early painters probably in every culture.. One it the triangle and another is the pyramid. Im sure there are others I have forgotten but for instance did you ever see a still life painting of a bowl of fruit. you can imagine it as a pyramid larger at the base and working its way to a point (either a real point or the broken off point). A vase of flowers is a reverse pyramid... Think about it, that is the same basic design as your picture the upside down pyramid.

If you have a wine bottle and a glass you can make a triangle of lines. if you draw a line along the base (or table) and draw a line from the taller wine bottle through the edge of the glass to base again, you have a triangle.

If you add a third element to the wine glass and bottle you can make either a triangle or a pyramid with them.

Just a couple of examples of the basic composition lines... Like most things there are no rules, but right this very minute pick any three objects of various heights. Place them on a table... First in a triangle composition, then in a pyramid.. now put the tallest one on the left. the shortest one in the middle and the middle on on the right. It will appear out of balance composition is ALL about Balance nothing more. Or so they used to say.

If you like I'll be happy to shoot you some examples.

To be honest they are all triangles we just like to make it sound more complicated than it is. If this is a problem for you have the moderators delete it
2222fl2.jpg

3333fc9.jpg

Nothing in stone for this but I always find these the most pleasing compositions when photographing objects.

tsienni said:
Hello! :)

I need your critiques, thanks!

workhard.jpg
I love it. "A good photo evokes emotion." When I look at this, I feel a pang of despair. Just the dissapointment in the mans face attracts me so much more to the photo. Maybe he recently broke up, and noticed the lingerie and htat reminded him of his past relationship. Maybe he does not have enough money to afford such luxuries. It is just an excellent opportunistic shot... I :heart: it!

Huhu, mysteryscribe, were you once a teacher? Thanks a million! That bottom-up demonstration gives me a good chuckle. But it's good you mention this to me, now I know there's a theory to back up. lol But I don't quite get the triangle composition, it doesn't look balanced to me. If you have time, maybe some classic examples to show to me? That way I'll certainly get you.

NoChance, thanks for comment. I think I share your understanding when you say a good photo evokes emotion. I'm curious, maybe someday you can also share with us your works. I'd love to see!

tsienni said:
Huhu, mysteryscribe, were you once a teacher? Thanks a million! That bottom-up demonstration gives me a good chuckle. But it's good you mention this to me, now I know there's a theory to back up. lol But I don't quite get the triangle composition, it doesn't look balanced to me. If you have time, maybe some classic examples to show to me? That way I'll certainly get you.

NoChance, thanks for comment. I think I share your understanding when you say a good photo evokes emotion. I'm curious, maybe someday you can also share with us your works. I'd love to see!
havent taken any new shots recently. Maybe will Snap some this weekend.

http://art-gallery-niagara.niagaraartcollection.com/ this is the first still life page I pulled up. Not perfect examples but connect the the top elements in them. In at least three there is the typical pyramid I spoke of..... Right side up though lol... I'll see if i can find you some triangles. that arent pyramids..

Lots of us old farts have taught courses in photography doesn't mean a thing.

For the pure triangle composition I decided to go with my favorite photographer (me) it was just easier to find something that wasnt too confusing.
candlespecial2.jpg

here is a link from a classic type painting pretty much the same kind of thing http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/viewonezoom.asp?dep=11&viewmode=1&mark=1&item=1980%2E3

and this one

http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/viewone.asp?dep=11&viewmode=0&item=51%2E112%2E1

Anyway you get the idea... there are thousands of really good still life paintings and photographs that do NOT conform to these or any other guidelines I just mentioned it because you original shot was so classic upside down pyarmid.

Thanks again, mysteryscribe. That's a bunch of information. But I have a free weekend to digest this.

Lots of us young dudes have never learnt in a course of photography, does mean something. :D

What means the most is that you WANT to learn. Just keep shooting and keep asking questions. Shoot for the look you want. Two days ago I shot a photograph that I planned to use on a calendar I'm going to make as a christmas present for family and friends. The image should have been great, it looked good, it was on 4x5 film and should have been great. I thought the compositon was good, then I posted it on a forum.

First thing I got was some one asked me what one element of the photo was. I had worked so hard to get the line right that I had obscured the information needed to precess the image in one's mind. I went back and reshot it yesterday. It did just fine the second time because I had Learned something about that picture in the process. Never stop learning and never stop WANTING to learn. That might be the secret to great photography.

At this point in my life I have all the time in the world or none at all depends on how you look at it. I can afford to shoot one shot to day and fix it tomorrow, rather than blindly shoot fifty shots that are wrong. It's a luxury most people don't have.

Most reactions

Back